Czech Euro-Art Stokes Controversy in Brussells

Al_Simmons

_45376515_-2.jpgBBC News:

A new art installation going on display at the European Council building in Brussels has angered EU members with its lampoons of national stereotypes.

Entropa portrays Bulgaria as a toilet, Romania as a Dracula theme-park and France as a country on strike.

The Czech Republic, which holds the EU presidency, thought it had commissioned work from 27 European artists.

But it turned out to have been entirely completed by Czech artist David Cerny and two associates.

The eight-tonne mosaic is held together by snap-out plastic parts similar to those used in modelling kits.

The Netherlands is shown as series of minarets submerged by a flood - a possible reference to the nation's simmering religious tensions.

Germany is shown as a network of motorways vaguely resembling a swastika, while the UK - criticised by some for being one of EU's most eurosceptic members - is absent from Europe altogether.

*SNIP* Full Article with more photos here:

BBC News:

shoutAl_Simmons

The Czech Republic, which holds the EU presidency, thought it had commissioned work from 27 European artists.

But it turned out to have been entirely completed by Czech artist David Cerny and two associates.

That pesky print. Europeans with gravitas have no sense of humor when it comes to lampooning themselves.

This is incredibly funny...

Makes me wanna ask, "How's the European Union deal working our for y'all?"

It's a good thing that artist David Cherny wasn't asked to include Africa or the Middle East!

I can only imagine. :unsure:

On second thought, maybe we'll ask Pepper! to do those! :lmfao:

I am going to rise to that challenge, NCTexan!

Give me 57 million euros and I will arange a work that will represent the cumulative efforts of 27 artists in a master piece.

I will give you a hint. The Tehran government will be one of the orifices, and it ain't the mouth.

This is incredibly funny...

Makes me wanna ask, "How's the European Union deal working our for y'all?"

It's a good thing that artist David Cherny wasn't asked to include Africa or the Middle East!

I can only imagine. :unsure:

On second thought, maybe we'll ask Pepper! to do those! :lmfao: