Frito-Lay won't pull controversial Christian parody Doritos commercial

EveningStar

The Washington Examiner:

J.P. Freire

January 3, 2011

In what may be another ad campaign gone awry, Doritos is featuring a new Super Bowl advertisement in which a priest, searching for ways to return to the church, has a supposedly brilliant idea: Replacing the host wafer with a Dorito. While the denomination of the church is unclear, what is clear is that most Christian denominations consider the host to be a big portion of communion and might find the commercial, titled "Feed your flock!", insensitive.
snip

Here's the ad. Judge for yourself:

I dare dose bastuds to do that with Islam.

Oh, wait, no, I forgot. Islam is the Religion of Peace. They should have no problem with this type of insult.

EveningStar!

As a Catholic, I feel it mocks one of my religion's most central beliefs. Denigration of Catholics & Christianity in general is apparently more in vogue, while the One has been in office.

Worse than bacon flavored Doritos, or Al Hijra Brut Champagne, that Pepsi would never consider putting out for the Islamic holy seasons; as Pepsi executives would have to move themselves & their families to new, secure locations.

Just a variation of crucifixes in urine, and elephant dung on the Virgin Mary; although secularists, atheists & muslims will get a chuckle out of it.

I can't afford Doritos [ I find broken tostada shells cheaper & less salty] & RC is my cola of choice....so I can't boycott either product; just wish them ill will.

pollyannaish

:rolleyes:

NO, NF, NE, DC*

Ok. Before anyone gets their knickers in a twist over this...they WANT the controversy. This ad is a big fat nothing. It won't work for them unless they are able to get people to talk about it because of the controversy. I will put money on the fact that they released a press release saying "We won't pull controversial Christian parody Doritos commercial" even though there hasn't been a single incidence of anyone being offended.

Nice try Frito-lay. We're on to you.

*Not offended, not funny, not effective, don't care.

Let's guess whether Pepsico will venture into other controversial parody commercials for their spin-off KFC holding?

Wanna see if they could stir some excitement with the same storyline in an AME church that offers free KFC for the Sunday socials.... I don't think so.

While Christians are such easy targets! Fair game in today's selective PC world.