Seven Technologies That Will Rock 2011

Geee

?icid=maing%7Cmain5%7Cdl7%7Csec1_lnk3%7C34310
TechCrunch:

So here we are in a new decade, and the technologies that are now available to us continue to engage (and enthrall) in fascinating ways. The rise and collision of several trends—social, mobile, touch computing, geo, cloud—keep spitting out new products and technologies which keep propelling us forward. Below I highlight seven technologies that are ready to tip into the mainstream 2011.

Before I get into my predictions, let’s see how I did last year, when I wrote “Ten Technologies That Will Rock 2010.” Some of my picks were spot on: the Tablet (hello, iPad), Geo (Foursquare, Gowalla, Facebook Places, mobile location-aware search, etc.), Realtime Search (it became an option on Google) and Android (now even bigger than the iPhone). Some are still playing out: HTML5 (it’s made great strides, but isn’t quite here yet), Augmented Reality (lots of cool apps have AR functionality, but for the most part it is still a parlor trick), Mobile Video (FaceTime and streaming video apps pushed it forward), Mobile Transactions (Square and other transaction processing options came onto the scene), and Social CRM (Salesforce pushed Chatter, and tons of social CRM startups pushed their wares, but enterprises are always slow to adopt). And one got pushed to 2011: Chrome OS (we are still waiting).

What’s in store for 2011? Some of these themes will continue to evolve, and some new ones will gain currency. Here are seven technologies poised to rock the new year:snip

shoutGeee, I read the article ( I know that's a first ).

Maybe my definition of technology varies, but they're not so much technologies as variations on some basic themes.

For example, Quora that is going to be hot this year:

"A continually improving collection of questions and answers created, edited, and organized by everyone who uses it." Sounds like rewarmed Wikipedia with a loose screening policy and a predilection for burning questions:

How did so many women simultaneously decide to wear tights instead of pants?

Why are there so few outstanding basketball players from Pittsburgh?

pollyannaish

shoutGeee, I read the article ( I know that's a first ).

Maybe my definition of technology varies, but they're not so much technologies as variations on some basic themes.

For example, Quora that is going to be hot this year:

"A continually improving collection of questions and answers created, edited, and organized by everyone who uses it." Sounds like rewarmed Wikipedia with a loose screening policy and a predilection for burning questions:

How did so many women simultaneously decide to wear tights instead of pants?

Why are there so few outstanding basketball players from Pittsburgh?

Heh. i just went and signed up for that. I'm curious about what it does that the other two don't. I will delete my account if it ends up just being another information also ran...