Profs' website urges rich to 'give back' tax cuts

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel
article.php?id=D9KDQNJ80&show_article=1
Breitbart:

NEW HAVEN, Conn. (AP) - Upset the federal government recently extended tax cuts for the rich, three professors at Yale and Cornell universities have created a website that encourages wealthy Americans to give their tax savings to charities and send a political message in the process.

The professors started giveitbackforjobs.org to allow Americans "who have the means" to calculate what their tax cut would be and donate that amount to a charity.

"Extending the tax cuts for the very wealthiest Americans is frankly unconscionable," Yale Law School professor Daniel Markovits said Wednesday. With the website's help, "donors can pledge their money to support the kinds of programs that will help families, create jobs, and set the country moving toward a just prosperity," the professors said in announcing the initiative.

Markovits, Yale political scientist Jacob Hacker, and Cornell law professor Robert Hockett started the campaign. Hacker is co-author of "Winner Take All Politics: How Washington Made the Rich Richer—and Turned Its Back on the Middle Class."

The three recommend giving to groups such as Habitat for Humanity, Children's Aid Society and Salvation Army that they say promote fairness, economic growth and a strong middle class. They say the contributions could replicate good government policy and, in effect, draft the government as a funding partner when the donation is tax deductible.

"The collective giving together becomes almost a kind of shadow fiscal policy," Markovits said.
________

I'm pretty sure that most of the "Wealthy" will collectively tell the professors what they can do with their idea...

Actually, I wish they'd offer something like this to everyone. Designate where you want your taxes to go. It would be interesting to see what programs get funded and which ones would dry up and blow away.

Actually, I wish they'd offer something like this to everyone. Designate where you want your taxes to go. It would be interesting to see what programs get funded and which ones would dry up and blow away.

Now THAT I could go along with.

Think it will happen?? :)

Ha. Probably just as soon as we elect national leaders who are aware we have a Constitution.

How about a website to urge liberals to contribute the extra taxes voluntarily as a way of swaying us by the courage of their convictions?

How about a website to urge liberals to contribute the extra taxes voluntarily as a way of swaying us by the courage of their convictions?

I think that is a great idea. And there could be a comparable website for conservatives. I still remember reading about Algore's charitable deductions while he was veep. I think it amounted to used underwear. Lets give all the vocal do gooders an opportunity to display their goodwill. I'd guarantee the non-vocal conservative philanthropists would make them look like the useless noisemakers they really are.

Ha. Probably just as soon as we elect

national leaders who are aware we have a Constitution.

Yes. On the positive side, now we have a few where before, we had none. It's a start.

2011 is going to be a very interesting year. The Tea Party candidates need to come out fast and furious and make their mark. If they get "absorbed" into the cesspool, well.....