Nearly 1 in 4 fails military exam

Geee

%20?test=latestnews
Fox News:

MIAMI – Nearly one-fourth of the students who try to join the U.S. Army fail its entrance exam, painting a grim picture of an education system that produces graduates who can't answer basic math, science and reading questions, according to a new study released Tuesday.

The report by The Education Trust bolsters a growing worry among military and education leaders that the pool of young people qualified for military service will grow too small.

"Too many of our high school students are not graduating ready to begin college or a career — and many are not eligible to serve in our armed forces," U.S. Education Secretary Arne Duncan told the AP. "I am deeply troubled by the national security burden created by America's underperforming education system."

The effect of the low eligibility rate might not be noticeable now — the Department of Defense says it is meeting its recruitment goals — but that could change as the economy improves, said retired Navy Rear Admiral Jamie Barnett.

"If you can't get the people that you need, there's a potential for a decline in your readiness," said Barnett, who is part of the group Mission: Readiness, a coalition of retired military leaders working to bring awareness to the high ineligibility rates.snip

"I am deeply troubled by the national security burden created by America's underperforming education system."--U.S. Education Secretary Arne Duncan

Good golly, Arne, whatever you do, don't blame it on the unions and permanent jobs.

When my youngest son joined the Army he couldn't believe how lame the test was, said anyone with half a brain should be able to pass.

I took the ASVAB while I was a senior in high school and it was WAAAAY easier than the SAT and ACT(I took both). My score was so high I could have picked my MOS(my Nat'l Guard recruiter didn't bother to tell me that).

It's so easy, you practically have to try and fail, unless you're a complete dunce. :blink:

MIAMI – Nearly one-fourth of the students who try to join the U.S. Army fail its entrance exam, painting a grim picture of an education system that produces graduates who can't answer basic math, science and reading questions, according to a new study released Tuesday.

American students lead the world in only one category...self esteem.