Will Mrs. Obama Downsize Your Kid?

Geee

will-mrs-obama-downsize-your-kid-mona-charen
National Review:

The First Lady got a bit of a bum rap last week when some on the Right wrenched out of context her comment on the new school-lunch program. Justifying an expanded federal program to feed kids healthy breakfasts and lunches at school, Mrs. Obama said, “We can’t just leave it up to the parents.” Some radio shouters let fly at her for that.

But immediately before that statement, Mrs. Obama had said, “I meet parents who are working very hard to make sure that their kids are healthy . . . They’re trying to teach their kids the kind of healthy habits that will stay with them for a lifetime. But . . . it’s clear that we as a nation have a responsibility to meet as well. We can’t just leave it up to the parents.”

This is not to suggest that Mrs. Obama’s initiative, which will cost an additional $4.5 billion over the $13 billion we’re already spending, is a good idea. The thrust of the new federal law is to bring the wisdom of the federal government to the task of helping kids become healthier. The terms “wisdom” and “federal government” make uncomfortable sentence-mates.snip

Thanks, Geee.

This column manages to combine 'the rest of the story' along with common sense suggestions to benefit both the children, their families, American taxpayers and the economy overall.

Thanks, Geee.

This column manages to combine 'the rest of the story' along with common sense suggestions to benefit both the children, their families, American taxpayers and the economy overall.

Good example of how easy it is to take people out of context. I have a better understanding of what she said. While I don't agree with her solutions, I do agree with her sentiments. A lot of times as a parent you are really swimming upstream of the rest of the culture. I just wish she'd tackled the issue of sexualizing little kids way, way too early first...and then moved on to healthy food. I think teaching kids to behave in positive, self-respecting ways is the first step in being healthy and when they are bombarded with inappropriate issues young, problems ensue.

As it is now, much of being thin is focused on being sexually attractive and/or powerful and successful. I would rather see them work a bit on that side of the equation, and THEN deal with what I believe is a fundamental symptom of a lack of self respect.