GOP senators concede arms treaty will secure enough votes to pass

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel
134551-gop-senators-concede-start-will-win-enough-votes-to-pass-handing-victory-to-obama
The Hill:

Republican senators say privately they expect the Senate to ratify the New START treaty this week, which would hand President Obama his third major victory of the lame-duck session.

GOP senators — including those who plan to vote for the treaty and those who say they’ll oppose it — have told The Hill they expect it to pass easily.

At least eight Republican senators have announced they either will vote to ratify the treaty or are leaning strongly toward doing so.

Two-thirds of the senators present in the chamber, assuming there is a quorum, must vote “aye” to ratify.

Three more GOP senators said Monday they are likely to support the treaty.

“I’m leaning toward supporting the treaty but I want to makes sure our side gets a fair hearing,” Sen. Judd Gregg (N.H.) said.

Said George Voinovich (Ohio): “I support it.”

“We need the verification,” Voinovich added, referring to the absence of U.S. arms inspectors in Russia since the old START treaty expired in December 2009.

Sen. Scott Brown (R-Mass.) also told reporters Monday afternoon that he would vote to ratify New START, leaving Democrats just one GOP vote shy of ratification.

Sen. Bob Corker (Tenn.), a Republican member of the Foreign Relations Committee, said he is also likely to vote for the treaty if the Obama administration answers some more questions about it and Democratic leaders allow additional Republican amendments to receive votes.

Sen. Charles Schumer (N.Y.), the third-ranking member of the Democratic leadership, announced Monday that Sen. Thad Cochran (R-Miss.) would also support the treaty.

Sen. Dick Lugar (Ind.), ranking Republican on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee is an outspoken supporter who has worked to corral GOP votes.

The two Republican senators from Maine, Olympia Snowe and Susan Collins, have already announced they would vote for New START in the lame-duck session.

Senate Democrats are eyeing a pool of at least five Republican senators who could give them the final vote for ratification.
________

Support for the treaty is not just coming from RINOs (unless these count as such.) I think opposition has become a non-starter here.

Support for the treaty is not just coming from RINOs (unless these count as such.) I think opposition has become a non-starter here.

They've morphed into RINOs. It is a disease that infects everyone who goes to D.C.

This nation will be at the mercy of nuclear blackmail in very short order. Republicans were once the party which put national security as a priority.

Now they would rather kiss Russian and fag ass.