Priorities for a New Congress

Valin

priorities-for-a-new-congress-preview
National Affairs:

James C. Capretta
Winter 2011

The struggle to place meaningful limits on government — on its reach into economic life, its influence over how we manage our private affairs, and especially its staggering expense — has been among the most important animating principles of the Republican Party for the past half-century. But it is a struggle that even most Republican leaders would admit has not gone very well.

To be sure, President Ronald Reagan’s two terms in office slowed the march toward ever more expansive government. And the transformation of the welfare system undertaken by the Gingrich Congress in 1996 proved to be the most successful social-policy innovation in a generation. Still, even when Republicans have been dominant in Washington, the size, scope, and reach of the federal government have expanded. As more Americans have become dependent on federal programs — and thus opposed to significant reform of them — the federal government has morphed into an unwieldy, self-perpetuating Leviathan. It tries to do everything for everyone — and does almost none of it well.

(Snip)

Republicans have clearly won a major battle, but they are still very far from winning the war for limited government and fiscal sanity. They now have a House majority, but still confront a Democratic Senate and a Democratic president. Given these constraints, and given their new opportunities, what should Republicans do when the 112th Congress begins? How should they use the resources at their disposal to best address the looming economic and fiscal challenges the country now faces, while also restoring government to its proper place?

(Snip)

Priorities for THIS new Congress:

1--KILL ObamaCare

2--Pass a budget with no earmarks and with no deficit

In other words, just do what you promised to do.

1--KILL ObamaCare

Agree!

Something to keep in mind

I was listening to Mark Levin a couple of weeks go, where he said (I paraphrase) "It was taken 80 years to get into this mess, and it will take a while to get it fixed"

This is a marathon not a sprint. I'm thinking (if everything goes right...which it won't) we're looking at 10-12-16 years to make things right. We (the GOP and Conservatives) have to pick and choose our fights carefully.

Keep your eye on the prize!!!

1--KILL ObamaCare

Totally agree, if only they would do it

1--KILL ObamaCare

Agree!

Something to keep in mind

I was listening to Mark Levin a couple of weeks go, where he said (I paraphrase) "It was taken 80 years to get into this mess, and it will take a while to get it fixed"

This is a marathon not a sprint. I'm thinking (if everything goes right...which it won't) we're looking at 10-12-16 years to make things right. We (the GOP and Conservatives) have to pick and choose our fights carefully.

Keep your eye on the prize!!!

Yup!

Amazing what you can do in 80 years.

Even more amazing what you can do in 2.