Common Ground with Progressives in Berkeley?

Geee

common_ground_with_progressive.html
American Thinker:

Just recently, I had a couple of astonishing conversations with random strangers. And in Berkeley, no less.

The first one was with the manager of a women's clothing shop, where I was doing some "retail therapy." Somehow we started talking about a possible new Berkeley tax. Then she uttered the following: "They're all trying to kill us. They want as few human beings as possible."

Now, I want you to imagine the otherworldliness of this moment -- of someone, anyone in Berkeley saying such a thing. Of course, when Bush was in office, the hatred was omnipresent and palpable. But now the Anointed One is at the helm.

After I stared at the woman, speechless, for a few seconds, I stammered, "Have you noticed this, too?" She leaned towards me, conspiratorially, and whispered, "It's the globalists, the international bankers; they want to get rid of as many people as possible so they can control the world's wealth. The bad food, the TSA's pat-downs which spread disease, the scanners which may be damaging our DNA ...it's all a way of depopulating the planet. "

I was on cloud nine until I mentioned my distrust of Obama. This is when the conversation came to a grinding halt. She stated stonily, "I consider myself a progressive."

Clearly, she knew that this nation is at risk. We had much of the same information. However, she had come to a radically different conclusion.snip

Geee

One of the (many many many) things that continue to...perplex me is how two reasonably intelligent people can look at the same facts and come to such different conclusions.

Valin. Guess that's what makes the world go 'round, but I hear you. Often have the very same thought. :blink:

And while I'm on the topic...When exactly was it that offering criticism of public policy became "Hate Speech"?

Valin. Guess that's what makes the world go 'round, but I hear you. Often have the very same thought. :blink:

And while I'm on the topic...When exactly was it that offering criticism of public policy became "Hate Speech"?

When it's done by Republicans, otherwise it is know as patriotism.

When it's done by Republicans, otherwise it is know as patriotism.

You're probably right.

Maintain that same sex marriage/repeal of DADT may not be a good idea, and same sex marriage is basically unknown in history, makes you a homophobe, say that we have a problem with illegal aliens makes you anti-hispanic, say that blacks do poorly in schools means you are a racist, asking questions about 3+ years of unemployment insurance means you hate the working class (and just what does "Working Class' mean anyway?), saying that there is a real problem with the "Islamic world" means you hate Muslims....never mind the small fact that Muslims say the same thing.

There are times when I wish I didn't have to think....but then I'd be a Democrat and over at DU. :D