Government May Shut Down Amid Standoff on Pork-Filled Spending Bill

clearvision

republicans-vow-reject-pork-filled-omnibus-spending
FOX News:

A government shutdown looms as Congress risks missing a key deadline this weekend over the battle in the Senate on a massive 2,000-page catchall spending bill that Republicans have vowed to oppose unless they can strip it of earmarks.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid is expected Thursday to take up the $1.27 trillion omnibus spending bill that would fund the government through the end of the fiscal year, to Sept. 30.

But Republicans have threatened to stall debate by forcing the 1,924-page bill to be read aloud in the Senate -- a move that would take 35 to 40 hours and push the debate into Saturday, according to numerous aides.

A temporary stopgap measure currently funding the government is set to expire midnight on Saturday. But a number of procedural steps would prevent the Senate from getting to a final vote until late Monday or early Tuesday.

"It's not our fault," a senior Senate Democratic leadership aide said about a potential government shutdown. The aide argues that Republicans are insisting on obstructing this bill.

Republicans and some Democrats argue that the Senate should follow in the footsteps of the House and pass another temporary spending bill to fund the government at current levels until February, when lawmakers would have time to examine the spending. By then, Republicans will control the House and hold six additional seats in the Senate.
:snip:

-------
I think a couple of weeks off (unpaid) for most of Government might be a nice holiday gift. Of course the things that would be cut off first would be services the public depends on...

Yawn. This has become about as predictable as "controversial" statements at celebrity awards shows. Wish it would extend across all areas of government.

Yup, it's the same old tired federal version of "if we don't get what we want, we're going to have to cut police, fire and emergency services".

I just watched Sudden Impact with Clint Eastwood so the answer is fresh in my mind...

"Go Ahead..Make My Day"