Taiwan Begins Mass Production of Long-Range Missiles

Valin

taiwan-begins-mass-production-of-long.html
Chinh's News:

PAUL MOZUR
12/9/10

TAIPEI—A senior Taiwanese defense official said the island had begun mass production of a long-range cruise missile that could reach mainland Chinese cities, an announcement that highlights the unresolved military rivalry between Taiwan and China despite big strides in political and economic ties.
The comments by Chao Shih-chang, a Taiwanese deputy defense minister, confirm years of speculation that the island was developing the Hsiungfeng 2E, also called the Chichun, a cruise missile that military analysts say has the capability to strike well within China's borders.

Such a move would be significant because it would indicate Taiwan is going beyond its long-term strategy of preparing to fend off any Chinese military assault in the Taiwan Strait, and developing a retaliatory capability against mainland China.

(Snip)

Under the 1979 Taiwan Relations Act, the U.S. is obligated to sell weapons to Taiwan for its defense.
But Washington has yet to approve sales of some advanced weapons systems that Taiwan's military has requested, including Taiwan F-16 C/D fighters.
Since Taiwan "cannot depend on the U.S. for buying all the necessary weapons systems for this country, we've got to develop some systems," Mr. Lin said.

Recommended reading Monsoon: The Indian Ocean and the Future of American Power
Robert D Kaplan

I hesitate to say MUST READ...but IMO you should read or at least look into this book.

I wouldn't consider long range cruise missiles to necessarily be an offensive weapon. If they are used to target Chinese offensive weapons systems, they'd be counter-offensive, or...defensive. And I'm glad the Taiwanese are moving forward with this kind of technology. But frankly, I'd be shocked if China ever took military action against Taiwan. They make a LOT of money through/with Taiwan. It would be like destroying the gold mine in your own backyard.

The biggest hurdle of Taiwan getting missiles long enough range is the MTCR.The Missile Technology Control Regime is an informal and voluntary association of countries which share the goals of non-proliferation of unmanned delivery systems capable of delivering weapons of mass destruction.If this was not followed by the United States, we can give Taiwan and South Korea the means to defend themselves. Some of the current signatories, such as Russia, are the biggest proliferator of missile technology.

During Clinton's term of office, he allowed US nuclear enhancement technology & US missile technology to be exported to Red China. They, in return, contributed huge sums of money for his elections. At the time [1998] the Chinese were ten years behind our technology.

This also happened during ManBearPig's campaign.......with the money channeled through Chinese "monks."

When I saw Clinton spouting off about his dealings with China & Russia, followed by advocating the passing of Obama's horrible START treaty; and then watched Obama abdicate his Presidency to Billious, so he could go to parties with the Wookie.......it made me sick.