The Death of the Hard Drive

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel
death-hard-drive-cloud-google-chrome
Fox News:

Stop worrying about when the hard drive in your computer will die. Google wants to kill it permanently anyway.

The new Google Chrome operating system, which was unveiled Tuesday, as well as hints and suggestions from Apple and Microsoft, offers us a preview of the PC of the future. And it will come without that familiar whirring disk that has been the data heart of the PC for the past 25 years.

The Chrome OS will at first be available on all-black laptops from Samsung and Acer. And because the new platform stores everything -- files, applications, data bits and bytes, literally everything -- on online servers rather than on your home or office PC, those new PCs running it won't require gobs of storage. In fact, they won't require any storage at all.

The new Google laptops come without hard drives, in other words.

Other hardware manufacturers have seen the trend, too: The ebook readers from Amazon and Barnes & Noble don't have hard drives. (And digital books you buy from Google's brand new eBooks store are stored online as well.) The Apple iPad has no drive, and the newest MacBook Air laptop skips a hard drive entirely as well; they all rely on flash memory chips for storage.

Is this the end of the hard disk? Will all computers eventually be just like the MacBook or Google's notebooks -- think soldered memory chips, not spinning metal platters.

"For the first 35 years of the PC revolution, the answer to the question 'How much storage do you need?' was basically 'As much as you can get!'" said Harry McCracken, the former editor in chief of PC World and head of the Technologizer.com blog. "That's finally starting to change, thanks to cloud-based repositories for music, video, personal files, and the like," he told FoxNews.com.
________

Is the hard drive going to go the way of the floppy disc? I understand the value of online storage, but what about privacy? Also, what if you can't access your stuff online for some reason? Shouldn't the new laptops and so forth have a backup available?

vt100.jpeg

"And because the new platform stores everything --"

You mean I can just type something and somebody else stores it?

My gawwwwwddddd! That is so innovative. Outstanding.

This is the way of the future...and there's going to be more and more of it....BUT. I'm starting to feel a little like this guy:

the-borg.jpg

Screw Google. There is no way I or many others are going to trust them with all of our documents.

Just wait until they get hacked. The lawsuits alone would be enough to bankrupt the company.

trs80-i.jpg

My first... 14K RAM and all the data that you can put on a 60 minute audio tape.

BTW, It had a full color display... Fully green or fully black.

10 REM "Note to TRR"

20 PRINT "HELLO"

30 GOTO 20

40 END

bradleymanning.gif

What could possibly go wrong with storing all your information & technology online?

Nice morph!

But just to make sure we're all on the same page....I believe this is the approved digital media:

fame-monster1.jpg

Screw Google. There is no way I or many others are going to trust them with all of our documents.

Just wait until they get hacked. The lawsuits alone would be enough to bankrupt the company.

My thoughts exactly. No way. Yeah, I know half the hackers in China are probably playing in my computer, but at least they have to try. I'm not just going to hand everything to them...or Google.

256 GB Flash Drive

Who needs a hard drive... who needs "cloud"?

71985915_1-Pictures-of-New-Kingston-256GB-Flash-drive-DataTraveler-200.jpg

I'd rather store my personal stuff on a flashdrive than online. This is a disaster waiting to happen. :blink:

Pepper!

What a perfect cast of characters we have in this event along with Pvt. Bradly Manning...

bradleymanning.gif

We have the "leader of the free world" Obozo...

clarabell-anderson.jpg

VP Joe Biden as Flubadub

44209_94768_1.jpg

Hillary as Princes Summerfall Winterspring...

12065_object_representations_media_2597_medium.jpg

and Robert Gibbs as Mr. Bluster

Bluster1-206x300.jpg

A small question:

Where do companies store their proprietary information?

In Marketing and Sales more and more are headed for the cloud. I was surprised by this, but it seems to be cost effective and allows companies access to more powerful software than they could afford otherwise. I helped make some of these decisions in my last position.

I have mixed feelings about all of this. But it seems to me that things that are process based...such as marketing, sales and production are "cloud" appropriate, but R&D and business plans (business core projects) are best stored in more traditional and proprietary way.

As far as personal information...they can have whatever the heck they want. The five bucks in my checking account, my cable bill, my shoe size...go for it. :lol:

shoutPolly!

As far as personal information...they can have whatever the heck they want. The five bucks in my checking account, my cable bill, my shoe size...go for it.

Wait'll you get that $1,500 cable bill charged to your checking account for 300 reruns of "Debbie Does Dallas" by somebody in Shanghai... :wallbash:

shoutPolly!

As far as personal information...they can have whatever the heck they want. The five bucks in my checking account, my cable bill, my shoe size...go for it.

Wait'll you get that $1,500 cable bill charged to your checking account for 300 reruns of "Debbie Does Dallas" by somebody in Shanghai... :wallbash:

Ouch! :unsure: Wow. 300? Doesn't EVERYTHING get a little old and predictable after awhile?

This does remind me of something that happened to me recently.

We received a phone call that our phone bill was past due. We get our phone, cable and internet all through our cable company. I was a little surprised, because I thought I'd paid it, but I have been known to forget stuff, so I went ahead and pushed the "1" to pay my bill using the account they had on file. Fortunately, I wrote the amount I paid and the confirmation number down on a piece of scrap paper.

After a few minutes the whole thing started to really bug me, because the amount of the bill wasn't quite right. So looked online and sure enough, a payment in that amount had been deducted from our checking account by the cable company.

I immediately called the cable company and asked what was going on.

They looked up my account, and while I had an opened CURRENT bill it wasn't passed due and it showed no payments. Plus, the amount was wrong. They sort of freaked out and I was transferred up the ladder to a supervisor.

When all is said and done we were able to track the payment. What had happened is that the computer merged the automated notice list incorrectly and I paid someone else's Cable Phone bill.

I am lucky I called back immediately or I would have had a lot of trouble sorting it out.

So...I am mostly joking about what I said above. I'm just not sure that in this day and age we can avoid becoming part of the cloud.