DeMint: Pence would be a good President

Guest areafiftyone

Guest areafiftyone
www.gop12.com
GOP12:

From a joint appearance by Mike Pence and Jim DeMint on John King's show tonight.

JOHN KING: Senator [DeMint], you've told me in the past you're not going to run for President in 2012. What about the guy standing next to you? He's making moves, and he might run for the Republican nomination.

What do you think?

DEMINT: I think he might make a good President, so we need to keep our eye on him.

Weather or not he would make a good President....it's not going to happen.

Not saying this is a good thing, but there is a good reason why sitting members of the US House of Representative, have not been President for a very long time.

Guest areafiftyone

Not saying this is a good thing, but there is a good reason why sitting members of the US House of Representative, have not been President for a very long time.

Right now I"m not sure who will be the nominee even. There are so many people who are potentially running in 2012. The field is going to be very crowded.

Right now I"m not sure who will be the nominee even. There are so many people who are potentially running in 2012. The field is going to be very crowded.

Right now anyone who has any kind of name recognition is running or thinking about it. Most will be gone by March.

IMO those who are seriously in the hunt are....(in no particular order, and snarky comments)

Mitt Romney (who BTW is this cycles Rudy Giuliani at a certain site...ie all right thinking true blue conservatives consider him the spawn of satan)

Tim Pawlenty (I think he's registered to vote in Iowa :lol:)

Mitch Daniels (The American Spectator appears to think he's the greatest thing since sliced bread)

Mike 'vote for me I'm an evangelical' Huckabee (is the country ready for another Man From Hope?)

Sarah Palin (all the right people hate her, so she must be doing something right)

Haley Barbour (is the nation ready for a man from Mississippi?)

Newt Gingrich (great ideas, gives a good speech BUT on his third marriage...Houston we have a problem)

Every GOP member of the Senate (Why yes I do look Presidential, don't I!)

What I'm looking at assuming these and others unnamed could be considered Conservative however people define that.

Character. Character Matters, I can over look some policy differences, if I believe the person has character

Electability. If you've no or only a slim chance of winning...thanks but no thanks!

The ability to give as good as you get. The willingness to play hardball...and do it with a smile on your face.

Pro-Life. This is what killed Rudy last time, he had to spend to much time and money fighting this fight. On the Presidential level the GOP is Pro-Life, if you're not....thanks for your time, now go sit over in the corner.

Electability! Did I mention that before? Well I am again.

Guest areafiftyone

Romney has the smarts to be president but he's like poison to most social conservatives. If he wins the nomination I'll vote for him - I want someone who knows about economics - I don't give one iota about social issues - they are useless drivel to me. Never did care about them and never will.

Rudy will probably not run - if he does it will be totally different from 2008 but I doubt he will - but the scary thing is Pataki might! YIKES!

The others who are thinking of running I'm not too familiar with (except Palin and Newt and Bolton - of these three I would pick Bolton). All the others Pence, DeMint, Pawlenty, etc., I'll have to give harder looks at when they all make the decision as to whether they are running or not. I won't rule any of them out yet.

I want someone who can fix this economy or at least get it back on the right track - Smart, experienced and knows their stuff! That's all I want. Not much to ask for right? So far the only person who I think can do it is Romney (and this is not because I just became a Romney fan - I am looking at hard experience) - but like I said I"m not ruling all the others (Pence, DeMint, Pawlenty, etc.) out. Give them all a chance to strut their stuff and then I'll make a decision.

Romney has the smarts to be president but he's like poison to most social conservatives.

Areafiftyone!

It's your comments like this which "tee" me off... the arrogant broad brushing of what YOU think a social conservative is or isn't.

I am a social conservative. Romney was my pick of the litter during the last go around. I supported Romney and stood against the mindless bashing of him on TOS. I got fed up with it and that's why I left (about the same time as you).

There are a bunch of SOCONS who aren't knuckle dragging, snake handling primitives like some folks from "the elite urban" areas like to believe. BTW, I "ain't always lived" in the back woods either.

Maybe you haven't figured it out yet, but I'm not unique on this forum in that respect.

Sometimes your comments are as shallow and offensive to me as comments from TOS are to you.

Romney has the smarts to be president but he's like poison to most social conservatives. If he wins the nomination I'll vote for him - I want someone who knows about economics - I don't give one iota about social issues - they are useless drivel to me. Never did care about them and never will.

Rudy will probably not run - if he does it will be totally different from 2008 but I doubt he will - but the scary thing is Pataki might! YIKES!

The others who are thinking of running I'm not too familiar with (except Palin and Newt and Bolton - of these three I would pick Bolton). All the others Pence, DeMint, Pawlenty, etc., I'll have to give harder looks at when they all make the decision as to whether they are running or not. I won't rule any of them out yet.

I want someone who can fix this economy or at least get it back on the right track - Smart, experienced and knows their stuff! That's all I want. Not much to ask for right? So far the only person who I think can do it is Romney (and this is not because I just became a Romney fan - I am looking at hard experience) - but like I said I"m not ruling all the others (Pence, DeMint, Pawlenty, etc.) out. Give them all a chance to strut their stuff and then I'll make a decision.

Every election is about something different, This election is will be (unless things change dramatically) about the economy, and for those of us on the right What kind of nation will we be. I really like Newt, but I really doubt he could win, waaay to much history. If what you are looking for is someone who is Smart, experienced and knows their stuff, then I think Romney is your guy....although you might take a hard look at my governor Tim Pawlenty. He's done some very good things here, and has been rock solid on taxes,spending.

Bolton? Sec State YES, President? No. Foreign policy is his thing.

shout Valin!

As of right now there are three viable candidates: Romney, Pawlenty and Mitch Daniels. Others may bubble up next year, but IMO Palin and Newt are both carrying too much baggage to beat Obambi, it's been well over a century since a House member won the the WH, which is why I think Pence is going to run for governor of Indiana instead of the Presidency. As for the Senators who all see a POTUS in the mirror, The Chosen One may have soured the electorate's attitude for anybody but a governor next time.

Depending on how much cash they can raise, I think it could come down to Pawlenty and Daniels, because Romney will never be allowed to forget that he gave the RATS the blueprint for Obambicare.

shout Valin!

As of right now there are three viable candidates: Romney, Pawlenty and Mitch Daniels. Others may bubble up next year, but IMO Palin and Newt are both carrying too much baggage to beat Obambi, it's been well over a century since a House member won the the WH, which is why I think Pence is going to run for governor of Indiana instead of the Presidency. As for the Senators who all see a POTUS in the mirror, The Chosen One may have soured the electorate's attitude for anybody but a governor next time.

Depending on how much cash they can raise, I think it could come down to Pawlenty and Daniels, because Romney will never be allowed to forget that he gave the RATS the blueprint for Obambicare.

No real disagreement.

Mitt had his shot last time, and I was a big supporter of his. Time for someone else. He'd make a good Sec. Treasury IMO

righteousmomma

It is an unfortunate truth that we live in an instant message media controlled world. Appearance does have an impact. Press coverage has a major impact.

One reason the Dems chose McCain as our candidate is he has a funny sounding way of talking, is not a good debater, too "reach across the aisles conciliatory and too OLD next to Obama. He was by far the easiest for them to beat as we all said at the time and has now been proven to be the truth of their intent.

The Dems (in all their guises) set out to destroy Palin and to plant negatively tweaked stories about Romney. Those were the 2 they feared the most.

As for next time --who knows. I am keeping my eyes and options open.

I was a Romney supporter before. BIG TIME. However since the election he has rather disappointed me in regards to his "strength of presence" on issues.

As for people who say:

I don't give one iota about social issues - they are useless drivel to me. Never did care about them and never will.

Many of them --like several friends-- also say "I am fiscally conservative but not a social conservative"

or the old cop out:

"I hate politics. I am sick of them all"

Well, unfortunately social issues cannot be separated out. How goes societal thought and issues and perspectives goes the Society. Presidents have limited power to effect many vital social areas and issues but their own perspectives and world view will color how they govern.