Brooks-Ryan Debate Reveals GOP’s Inner Struggle

Valin

brooks-ryan-debate-reveals-gops-inner-struggle
Frum Forum:

Noah Kristula-Green
12/2/10

Think tank debates in aren’t usually dramatic events. So when Journalist Robert Stacy McCain tweeted that a debate at AEI between Rep. Paul Ryan and New York Times columnist David Brooks would be a “Cage Match Duel to the Death” an observer from outside the beltway might find the description hyperbolic.

The debate was ostensibly between competing conservative visions of government, the “limited government“of Rep. Ryan and AEI President Arthur Brooks, and the “limited but energetic” government of David Brooks. Ryan argued that government should do little, and Brooks argued that government could, and should, be proactive to deal with issues such as human capital and income mobility. While there seemed to be a lot of commonality between the two on policy, there were serious divides in both tone, and underlying philosophy.
(Snip)

LINK AEI Debates: How Much Government is Good Government?

Two points if I may....
1. It is not just a struggle inside the GOP, but a debate for all Americans on what kind of country we want.

2. No mention of Bristol Palin and Dancing with the stars! I can't tell you really disappointed I am that no one addressed this burning issue! SIGH

Thanks Valin, I read they were to debate and forgot. Will keep it to watch later.

Very good debate.

Aside: Brooks is really a funny guy!

shoutValin.Refreshing to see respectful debate and not shouting and they both seem to have a good sense of humor. Thanks again.

This is how it's done....or at least how it should be done.

You can disagree without being disagreeable.