Ear relief: Congress acts to stifle loud TV ads

Rheo

business-us_business
msnbc:

WASHINGTON — Here's a message TV viewers may not want to mute: The days of getting blasted out of one's easy chair by blaring TV commercials may soon be over.

The House on Thursday passed a bill that would prevent advertisers from abruptly raising the volume to catch the attention of viewers wandering off when regular programming is interrupted.

The bill's House sponsor, Rep. Anna Eshoo, D-Calif., said it was her own "earsplitting experiences" that got her involved, recalling how the ads "blew us out of the house" when she watched television, already set at a high volume, with her late parents.

But she said her office also has gotten many messages of support and that at home people come up to her in restaurants and supermarkets to ask how the bill is doing. :rolleyes:

"We can protect people from needlessly loud noise spikes that can actually harm their hearing," she said. snip

Managing the transition poses some technical challenges because the shows and ads come from a variety of sources, and may require TV broadcasters to purchase new equipment.

The legislation does give the FCC authority to issue waivers to broadcasters for hardship or other reasons. snip

So glad they're tackling the important things.

I wonder if I could find a job reducing commercial noise spikes by putting my hands over the speakers. Or manning the remote. :rolleyes:

I wonder if I could find a job reducing commercial noise spikes by putting my hands over the speakers. Or manning the remote. :rolleyes:

Best thing they could do is take MSNBC off the air...and never show another Obami speech again.

I would rather hear some of the commercials than the show they are sponsoring.

I guess the House ran out of post offices to name.

shoutpollyannaish

Rep. Anna Eshoo, D-Calif.,

Leave it to the DemocRats.

There's already a control

settop_03.gif

It's called a mute button, why, lookie, there's also a power off button.

Hell's bells, another bill to debate, investigate, and obfuscate the Bush Tax Cuts and keeping the government going during the very lame duck session! :rolleyes:

Hell's bells, another bill to debate, investigate, and obfuscate the Bush Tax Cuts and keeping the government going during the very lame duck session! :rolleyes:

The Bush tax cuts? Don't you mean the give rich people all the money tax cut?

Rich people must be punished!