Bush stem cell policy may return

Geee

131561-bush-stem-cell-policy-may-return
The Hill:

Congress is running out of time to pass legislation allowing federal funding for embryonic stem cell research, potentially setting up the resumption of a Bush-era policy that President Obama reversed with fanfare shortly after taking office.

Without legislative action by year’s end, federal funding for the controversial research could once again be highly restricted, as it was under former President George W. Bush.

An appeals court could rule either way within the next few months, but legislation pending in the House and Senate could effectively make the decision moot by clarifying a 1996 law that bans the use of taxpayer money for research where human embryos are destroyed.
“Obviously, with every day that goes by, it becomes less likely” that the bill will pass, said Rep. Mike Castle (R-Del.), a co-sponsor of the legislation. “I’d like to see it happen, but I’m not exactly holding my breath.”

Obama’s order allows federal funding for biomedical research that uses embryonic stem cells to search for potential prevention or treatment of diseases such as Parkinson’s disease, Alzheimer’s and diabetes. Opponents say the practice is immoral and should not be funded by taxpayers because it requires the stem cells to be destroyed.snip