The Age of Adolescence

Geee

the-age-of-adolescence
Pajamas Media:

Never-never land

One of the great themes of the 1960s was to “do your own thing.” But usually “liberation” distilled down to creating your own rules and norms to justify allowing the appetites and passions to run free, while offering some sort of exalted cover for being either gross or mediocre — or both.

The hip generation that came of age talked about a new, perpetually youthful world that would supplant the values and aspirations of a fading bankrupt establishment (e.g., cf. Bob Dylan’s “the order is rapidly fading”). And in time the promise of the sixties, in fact, did permeate the last half-century, creating a contemporary culture of perpetual adolescence, of defying norms and protocols without offering anything much in their place.snip

Witness current events. A 22-year-old PFC Bradley Manning, without much experience, knowledge, or maturity, somehow becomes a “military analyst.”

snip

No matter — you see poor Bradley was also upset, depressed, and he felt underappreciated. In part, that was because his drag-queen boyfriend had recently dumped him. He was, in his own words, “regularly ignored except when I had something essential then it was back to ‘bring me coffee, then sweep the floor.’ … felt like I was an abused work horse.”

Hanging would be appropriate for Bradley. Change his focus.

Great article.

I often tear up when old stalwarts of politics or Hollywood die these days. Especially the ones that lived their lives with dignity. I think its because I keep thinking "who are the adults?" in this world.

Bradley Manning is just another "it's all about me" sniveling #$%@ ant. But I won't tell you how I really feel. :P

Ditto -- Chickadee -- couldn't say it better

Witness current events. A 22-year-old PFC Bradley Manning, without much experience, knowledge, or maturity, somehow becomes a “military analyst.”

snip

No matter — you see poor Bradley was also upset, depressed, and he felt underappreciated. In part, that was because his drag-queen boyfriend had recently dumped him. He was, in his own words, “regularly ignored except when I had something essential then it was back to ‘bring me coffee, then sweep the floor.’ … felt like I was an abused work horse.”

Hanging would be appropriate for Bradley. Change his focus.

shoutPepper. Things would have been different if someone had built up his self esteem :huh::P

snipshoutPepper. Things would have been different if someone had built up his self esteem :huh::P

220px-Bradley_Manning.jpg

Poor little bitty baby.

Probably dropped on his head.