Biggest Earthquake in 18 Years Shakes New York Region

ErnstBlofeld

biggest-earthquake-18-years-shakes-lond-island
WNYC News:

A 3.9 magnitude earthquake shook the New York City region earlier today.

The U.S. Geological Survey reports that the tremor occurred in the Atlantic Ocean, about 80 miles off the coast of Southhampton on Long Island, around 10:45 Tuesday morning. The earthquake wasn't big enough to do any damage or hurt anyone, and the U.S. Coast guard said there is no threat of a tsunami. It was the biggest earthquake for our area in 18 years.

Art Lerner-Lam, a seismologist at Columbia University's Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory, said the quake was felt across the metropolitan area, according to reports received by the observatory. "Many of those reports indicated that people felt the earthquake by seeing chandeliers swing, by hearing windows rattling. A lot of reports said that it sounded as if a truck had just passed," he said. "That's very common for an earthquake of this size and at that distance

There is a little known fact that there is a fault line running down 125th street in NYC.

Another reason I can add to my list of why I'll never go to NYC. I know how to handle hurricanes... B)