Stick With the Benjamins, Sarah

Geee

stick-with-the-benjamins-sarah
Pajamas Media:

By this time everyone in the political arena who doesn’t count themselves among the ranks of the Palinistas is familiar with the routine. Whether you are one of the players on the electoral field or a member of the punditocracy, the rules are clear — there are only certain things which may be said about the ½-term Alaska governor and precise ways in which they may be phrased or thou shalt suffer the wrath of the faithful.

The latest student in this particular school of hard knocks was former First Lady Barbara Bush, who curiously chose to suggest that Ms. Palin should “stay in Alaska.” The response, ranging from bloggers to Beck, was immediate and predictable.

Dear Mrs. Bush: We’ve always admired and respected you. But unfortunately your time is up and under the bus you go.

But that’s the way things work in every hamlet and village of Palinland. You are free to have your own opinions and not support Sarah for anything and everything from president of the United States to the next pope, but if so, do it quietly and keep your mouth shut. Why? Because if you say anything Palin related, running the full range from suggesting that someone else might make a good presidential candidate to wondering if — just possibly — Jennifer and Derek might be slightly better dancers than Bristol and Mark, then you are a hater who seeks to destroy Governor Palin and her beautiful family.

So what brings me to this highly divisive topic today? In the spirit of peace and introspection which accompanies the upcoming holiday season, I could hardly let it pass by without my own dose of hatred and evil plots to destroy the family in question. And with that I present for your inspection and critique the top five reasons Sarah Palin should not run for president.snip

As much as I hate to agree with this clown, she did sign her own political death warrant when she resigned as governor of Alaska. I'm sure the other Pubbies eyeing '12 will remind her, and voters, about it every chance they get if she does run.

She should stick to what she's doing now, and wait out there for another time when memories will start to fade...

You’re going to lose

Allow me to apologize in advance if that final header is a bit on the blunt side, but it’s time to face up to some harsh realities here. President Obama should be vulnerable in the next election given the current arc of the economy, but his personal popularity and the power of incumbency still make him a formidable opponent. For a Republican to beat him it’s either going to take somebody who already holds enough popularity to finish the march to the finish line or a new face with a lot of room to grow in both name recognition and approval.

Sadly, you don’t fill the bill for either description. You have an impressive army of followers who are loyal to the bitter end, but that’s exactly what the end will be. There is virtually no one left in the country that hasn’t gotten to know you and formed an opinion, and there are no second chances at a first impression in this game. Your disapproval numbers are north of fifty and stubbornly show no signs of budging. If you run you’ll probably come close, but close won’t be good enough. The president knows he is in trouble politically and your best indicator of your prospects should come from looking at a boatload of those less than $200 “anonymous” contributions that have been mailed in to SarahPAC lately. (Hint — they’re coming from Obama.)

And if you lose, what then? You’ve got a great gig going right now, but people may very well stop flocking to the banner of somebody who has either lost or quit three executive level positions in a row. At that point the cash cow may well dry up and the fear factor you now wield will shrink along with it. Is the risk really worth the prize here?

So there you have it — a nickel’s worth of free advice from somebody who may not be one of your supporters, but truly wants to help in the spirit of the Thanksgiving and Christmas season. Barbara Bush wasn’t trying to insult you, Governor Palin. She was just trying to help.

He has a point.

Lady Bush has never had a problem "expressing" her opinion...

and regardless of her comments regarding Sarah, I still like her and respect her.

Sarah 2012

You’re going to lose

Allow me to apologize in advance if that final header is a bit on the blunt side, but it’s time to face up to some harsh realities here. President Obama should be vulnerable in the next election given the current arc of the economy, but his personal popularity and the power of incumbency still make him a formidable opponent. For a Republican to beat him it’s either going to take somebody who already holds enough popularity to finish the march to the finish line or a new face with a lot of room to grow in both name recognition and approval.

Sadly, you don’t fill the bill for either description. You have an impressive army of followers who are loyal to the bitter end, but that’s exactly what the end will be. There is virtually no one left in the country that hasn’t gotten to know you and formed an opinion, and there are no second chances at a first impression in this game. Your disapproval numbers are north of fifty and stubbornly show no signs of budging. If you run you’ll probably come close, but close won’t be good enough. The president knows he is in trouble politically and your best indicator of your prospects should come from looking at a boatload of those less than $200 “anonymous” contributions that have been mailed in to SarahPAC lately. (Hint — they’re coming from Obama.)

And if you lose, what then? You’ve got a great gig going right now, but people may very well stop flocking to the banner of somebody who has either lost or quit three executive level positions in a row. At that point the cash cow may well dry up and the fear factor you now wield will shrink along with it. Is the risk really worth the prize here?

So there you have it — a nickel’s worth of free advice from somebody who may not be one of your supporters, but truly wants to help in the spirit of the Thanksgiving and Christmas season. Barbara Bush wasn’t trying to insult you, Governor Palin. She was just trying to help.

He has a point.

Yes, he does.

Personally, I think Sarah Palin could have written this article herself. I will continue to believe she has never planned to run for the presidency.

I really don't think Sarah plans to run for President from watching her the last year, I think she likes being a thorn in the sides of the establishment

I can accept Bab's remarks and even the premise of this post, in the scheme of identifying and shaking out the legitimate contenders for President in 2012. It will be an ongoing process that might be nasty.

I agree with Chickadee, Cudjo & Rheo.....that her best contribution will be to keep the bulk of the conservative bloc, always moving away from center & center-left. She's a great conservative womans figurehead that may have better chances in 2016.