North Korean Leader Kim Jong Il, Son Visit Artillery Base Hours Before Hit on South Korea

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel
skorea-boosts-security-nkorea-issues-warning
Fox News:

YEONPYEONG ISLAND, South Korea – North Korean leader Kim Jong Il and his son and successor Jong Un reportedly visited the artillery base from where shells were fired at a South Korean island just hours before the attack, South Korean media reported on Thursday.

North Korea's attack on Yeonpyeong Island that killed two South Korean marines and two civilians on Tuesday was probably ordered by Kim Jong Il himself, the Joongang Daily quoted a well-informed government source as saying, according to a Reuters report.

Seoul government officials contacted by Reuters could not comment on the reports.

The United States says it believes North Korea's actions were an isolated act tied to leadership changes in Pyongyang, and many experts say the North carried out the shelling to burnish the image of the inexperienced and little-known younger Kim.

The ailing leader is desperate to give a lift to his youngest son, named as heir apparent to the family dynasty in September, but who has little clear support in the military.
________

Don't worry-he's only showing Mini Me Jr. the ropes... :wacko:

It would appear it is working for them so far. South Korea has got to find an effective means of responding to these acts of war, other than firing their Defense Minister. 46 sailors died in the sinking of their warship, and now they've lost four in the very obvious and deliberate shelling of their island. Granted, neither the North or the South would win a full blown war, but a couple pin point strikes on some very sensitive targets of North Korean pride would teach a simple and costly (to North Korea) lesson. Both China and Japan are probably learning some very significant lessons from South Korea's lack of response. Japan is probably sweating. China is grinning.

I wonder if SKorea has anything like our Delta Force that could infiltrate the north and cause a little chaos? If they could get in and out safely, it would give the south deniability but send a message. Eventually the north is going to get what they want and all hell is going to break out. Then they will be able to tell their people the American imperialists wanted the war, as they continue to starve.

My understanding is that the South Korean special forces are excellent. We do a lot of joint training with them. I suspect they operate pretty regularly in the North. I know the DPRK troops make relatively frequent attempts to infiltrate the South. The ROK's best offensive capability is its air force. Well equipped and well trained. It has the ability to strike deep within North Korean territory without exposing its aircraft to the extensive but archaic North Korean air defense system. Long range, precision guided munitions can do a lot of damage without leaving many fingerprints.

My understanding is that the South Korean special forces are excellent. We do a lot of joint training with them. I suspect they operate pretty regularly in the North. I know the DPRK troops make relatively frequent attempts to infiltrate the South. The ROK's best offensive capability is its air force. Well equipped and well trained. It has the ability to strike deep within North Korean territory without exposing its aircraft to the extensive but archaic North Korean air defense system. Long range, precision guided munitions can do a lot of damage without leaving many fingerprints.

I guess like our guys, we will never know what they do or how well they do it.