Obama Likely Spurned as China's N. Korean Stance Holds Firm

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel
obama-call-likely-to-be-spurned-as-china-s-north-korean-support-holds-firm.html
Bloomberg:

President Barack Obama’s call for China to put more pressure on North Korea to stop military attacks on South Korea may go unheeded in Beijing, where officials refuse to pin any blame on their ally, analysts say.

Obama, Japanese Prime Minister Naoto Kan and South Korean President Lee Myung Bak called for China to use its influence to control North Korea’s behavior, following yesterday’s deadly artillery salvo. Four people were killed and 20 wounded, mostly soldiers, when Northern forces shelled the island of Yeonpyeong in the first attack of its kind since the 1950-1953 civil war.

“China thinks the most important and urgent goal right now is to make sure there won’t be any escalation of the conflict, rather than finding out who’s responsible,” said Yang Xiyu, a researcher at the China Institute of International Studies in Beijing, a group attached to China’s foreign ministry.

China, North Korea’s biggest trading partner and ally of 60 years, holds that maintaining stability on the Korean peninsula is paramount, and the best way to achieve that is to continue giving economic aid and political support to North Korea.
________

I'm guessing that, in private, the Chinese are probably hopping mad at Mini Me. In the long run, they may be looking for ways to cut him loose while saving face.

I'm guessing that, in private, the Chinese are probably hopping mad at Mini Me. In the long run, they may be looking for ways to cut him loose while saving face.

I'm guessing you're probably right, but it would be a loss of face for the Chicoms to admit they're riding a sure loser. I also think they're quickly running out of patience and are quietly telling Kim to tone it down or they won't have to worry about South Korea and the US, but them.

It might not matter given that the leadership in Pyongyang is completely insane, but if(and that's a big IF) the Jellyfish-in-Chief can hold it together(without falling all over himself apologizing to everybody), and completely cut those maniacs off from any aid, they'll collapse. That leaves the Chicoms with a choice, they can send in the PLA, or allow the South Koreans to move in and reunite the peninsula.