Petraeus Suggests U.S. Suspected 'All Along' Taliban Negotiator Was a Fake

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel
petraeus-suggests-suspected-taliban-negotiator-fake
Fox News:

The top commander in Afghanistan suggested Tuesday that the United States suspected all along that a man leading peace talks on behalf of the Taliban was an impostor, even though the bogus militant was allegedly receiving payments from the West while he was duping them.

Gen. David Petraeus, speaking in Berlin, seemed to confirm newspaper reports that said the man claiming to be senior Taliban commander Mullah Akhtar Mohammad Mansour during negotiations was an impersonator. The general described the Taliban outreach over the past six-to-eight months as "preliminary," saying some of the senior Taliban leaders "have been recognized as being legitimate" -- but not all.

"There has been skepticism about one of these all along and it might well be that that skepticism was well founded," Petraeus said.

The acknowledgement came after other U.S. officials refused to comment on the claim -- first reported in The New York Times and Washington Post -- that Western officials were dealing in high-level discussions with a fake.

White House spokesman Bill Burton earlier referred all questions to the Afghan government. State Department spokesman Mark Toner said he did not have "a lot of information" about the issue, but noted that the reports underscore the reality that "intelligence is a difficult ... thing" in these circumstances.
________

Basically, they got conned by this guy. And why were they giving him money in the first place? :huh:

That's my story and I'm stickin with it.

Why do I have a feeling we are going to lose Afganistan???

That's my story and I'm stickin with it.

Why do I have a feeling we are going to lose Afganistan???

Because you're smart?

If Petraeus suspected this guy was some rogue agent, why did he indulge him? This is him toeing the Jellyfish-in-Chief's line after being humiliated by the Muslim equivalent of the two kids who KO'd Acorn on videotape last year.