Subsidies for plug-in cars: A scam for big business

Geee

subsidies-plug-cars-scam-big-business
Washington Examiner:

When you see bipartisan agreement on energy and transportation policy, it means one thing: truckloads of subsidies for well-connected big businesses touting some unproven high-tech "green" solution.
Most green subsidies are mostly harmless (if also useless) -- such as solar and wind subsidies. But in recent weeks, lawmakers are lining up behind one green idea that could waste unprecedented amounts of

resources -- venture capital, taxpayer money, intellectual innovation -- by approving

vast new subsidies to make plug-in electric cars the dominant mode of transportation.

A cabal of government-friendly big businesses -- ranging from lobbying king General Electric to made-for-subsidies startups like Coda Automotive and GridPoint, Inc. -- have formed the Electrification Coalition, which lobbies for expanded subsidies for plug-in cars.

Plug-in cars do have upsides. Burning no gasoline has environmental and geopolitical benefits (no tailpipe emissions and no foreign oil). Even if the car is charged ultimately by a coal-fired power plant (the source of half our electricity), there are some savings on greenhouse emissions, and the pollution is moved from our streets to the edge of town.

But for much of the country, plug-in cars are a nonstarter -- at least given the technology available now and in the near future. If you're in New Mexico and regularly drive hundreds of miles in a day, you'd need quite a battery to get the job done. If you live in Adams Morgan and regularly park two blocks from your front door, you'd need quite the extension cord to recharge your battery at night.snip

If you're in New Mexico and regularly drive hundreds of miles in a day, you'd need quite a battery to get the job done. If you live in Adams Morgan and regularly park two blocks from your front door, you'd need quite the extension cord to recharge your battery at night

Yet another lobby addresses this--charging stations along the road in New Mexico, AND the company that builds and installs the parking-meter type plug-ins in cities.

GROAN, I don't want a plug in car . . . please!

If you're in New Mexico and regularly drive hundreds of miles in a day, you'd need quite a battery to get the job done. If you live in Adams Morgan and regularly park two blocks from your front door, you'd need quite the extension cord to recharge your battery at night

Yet another lobby addresses this--charging stations along the road in New Mexico, AND the company that builds and installs the parking-meter type plug-ins in cities.

GROAN, I don't want a plug in car . . . please!

Chickadee!

You're totally missing the point of 'plug in cars'.

They are exceptionally inexpensive when somebody else pays for them and their 'juice'.

barryleskocopy-2.jpg

shoutNCTexan

How do I go about getting me some of that free money?

Pepper!

I got $1,500 of that FREE MONEY from your stash Pepper.

We had to replace our water heaters in September and got the Obama GREEN rebate for buying a tankless one.... and that was paid for by YOU, Pepper. THANK YOU MUCHO!

NCTexan

I thought we had agreed to cut out the middle man and I was going to transfer my meager wealth to your bank this year?

gallery_386_79_1709.jpg

shoutNCTexan

How do I go about getting me some of that free money?

Pepper!

I got $1,500 of that FREE MONEY from your stash Pepper.

We had to replace our water heaters in September and got the Obama GREEN rebate for buying a tankless one.... and that was paid for by YOU, Pepper. THANK YOU MUCHO!

gallery_386_79_1709copy.jpg

Pepper!

I am very confused? :o

Evidently your bank is running a little low...

It sure couldn't be the account of such a Titan of Industry.

Austin is now supposed to be some "test" market for a fleet of these electric cars. Something like a 100 "public" charging stations (conveniently located near city council members; houses and favorite establishments for their "loaner" vehicles as part of the agreeement I'm sure). They of course said won't cost the City much as it is covered by Federal subsidies....

shoutClearvision

(Wow, those electric cards will really work well with all that renowned flat lands and mesas surrounding Austin)sarcasm

I can't keep up with Austin's spending and shoutNCTexan's spending. I am NSF, no longer a Titan of Industry.