Palin Gripes about Leaks from Her New Book

Guest areafiftyone

Guest areafiftyone
main7069908.shtml
CBS News:

(CBS) Sarah Palin's new book, "America by Heart: Reflections on Family, Faith, and Flag," is due out next week, but leaked excerpts have been making the rounds on the Internet.

And, reports CBS News Correspondent Nancy Cordes, Palin says she's not happy about the leaks.

On Thursday night, the former GOP vice presidential candidate and ex-Alaska governor, tweeted, "The publishing world is leaking out-of-context excerpts of my book w/out my permission? Isn't that illegal?"

One thing that hasn't been leaked, Cordes points out: -- any mention of Palin's plans to run for president in 2012.

"We haven't seen a lot of political criticism in this book so far," says Politico.com writer Shira Toeplitz. "At least in the parts that have been leaked to the media, it's been mostly social criticism about things like 'American Idol' or Levi Johnston."

Palin pans Johnston, the unmarried father of her grandson, Tripp, for seeking publicity, writing, "It was disgusting to watch as his fifteen minutes of fame were exploited by supposed adults taking advantage of a lost kid."

And she takes on "American Idol," writing that the contestants "embarrass themselves for the benefit of the producers."

But of daughter Bristol's role on reality TV she writes, "She engaged in an uplifting family-oriented show called dancing with the stars to challenge herself in a new, fun way."

"Sarah Palin is in many ways a creature of television herself," Toeplitz observes. "She has a contract on a cable news show. Her daughter is on a TV reality show, and Sarah Palin has her own reality television show that she's very well compensated for."

This is Palin's second book. Her first, "Going Rogue: An American Life," sold more than 300,000 copies on its first day on sale a year ago.

Guest areafiftyone
On Thursday night, the former GOP vice presidential candidate and ex-Alaska governor, tweeted, "The publishing world is leaking out-of-context excerpts of my book w/out my permission? Isn't that illegal?"

Nope it is not illegal. :blink:

It seems this happens with every book that people care about. GWB's book was leaked in huge sections and he was gracious and happy. What is Palin's book about anyway?

Conservatives for Palin

Governor Palin’s book America by Heart is set to be released this coming Tuesday. As with every book, advanced copies are released to the press for reviewing purposes only. Those advanced copies usually come with conditions attached which include not disclosing any part of the book until a certain agreed date.

It appears that some in the media have lost all of their integrity and no longer have any respect for the law and have decided to release parts of the book to no others than to sites trashing Governor Palin.

So out of a 304 page book, those Palin haters have opted to nitpick the one thing they “thought” might embarrass the Governor and, what do you know, the entire media followed suit.

The following paragraph, taken way out of context, is now being circulated and in some twisted way used to argue that Governor is a hypocrite for Bristol's appearance on Dancing with the Stars:

"Did you ever wonder where the producers of American Idol come up with the seemingly endless supply of people who can't sing but are deluded enough to get up in front of a national television audience and screech out a song anyway?"

snip

Many of the contestants’ ability (or, More accurately, inability) to carry a tune reminds me uncomfortably of me. But they get up and sing anyway and are unaccepting and horrified when the judges’ critiques begin. Chalk some of them up as victims of the cult of self-esteem. No one they’ve encountered in their lives – from their parents to their teachers to their president – wanted them to feel bad by hearing the truth. So they grew up convinced they could become big pop stars like Michael Jackson.

On American Idol, of course, these self-esteem-enhanced but talent-deprived performers eventually learn the truth. After they’ve embarrassed themselves for the benefit of the producers, they are told in no uncertain terms that they, in fact, can’t sing, regardless of what they’ve been told by others. But in the wilder world, these kinds of instances of hard-truth-telling are increasingly rare. Instead of eventually confronting the limits of their inflated egos when it comes to paying the rent and putting food on the table, Americans are increasingly being told not to worry about it. Someone else will provide for them. I think a large part of the appeal of American Idol is the spectacle of Simon Cowell pouring cold water over the heads of these young people. Cowell can be a little harsh at times, but he upholds the highest standards, and something in us recognizes and responds to that.

Unfortunately, Cowell is almost alone in his willingness to tell hard truths. Instead, a growing chorus of voices is trying to convince our kids that hard work isn’t necessary anymore, that they’re entitled to a lengthening list of benefits paid for by others, and that they don’t have to accept the consequences of their actions when those consequences are bad. These voices seem to think that the purpose of government – the purpose of America – isn’t to promise equal opportunity but to produce equal outcomes. If we all just magically had the same number of material possessions, we’d all be happy. And their preferred way to bring about magical situation is by redistributing income. During the campaign, Obama called it “spreading the wealth.” Whatever the term, it means government taking from some and giving to others.

snip

It seems that the negative comments would come out no matter if the book was leaked or not. People do this to books all the time and just not to Palin books. She was very naive if she honestly thought this would not happen.

Guest areafiftyone

It seems this happens with every book that people care about. GWB's book was leaked in huge sections and he was gracious and happy. What is Palin's book about anyway?

What else? Herself and who she has a gripe against! :lmfao:

What a good passage Rheo. It's excellent social commentary and I agree with every word. Context is EVERYTHING.

The CBS thing is designed to make Palin look bad. No matter what she says, they take it out of context and use it to beat her around the head.

The only way to make them quit, is for her to quit being who she is and go back to her "place" in society. Just like the rest of us who are considered "too big for our britches" little people clinging to our guns and our religion and voting for Bristol.

Well, guess what. It's not going to happen. We're on to you elitists and the emperor has not clothes!

What else? Herself! :lmfao:

In the fall of 2009, with the publication of her #1 national bestselling memoir, Sarah Palin had the privilege of meeting thousands of everyday Americans on her extraordinary 35-city book tour. Inspired by these encounters, her new book, America By Heart: Reflections on Family, Faith, and Flag, celebrates the enduring strengths and virtues that have made this country great.

Framed by her strong belief in the importance of family, faith, and patriotism, the book ranges widely over American history, culture, and current affairs, and reflects on the key values--both national and spiritual-that have been such a profound part of Governor Palin's life and continue to inform her vision of America's future. Written in her own refreshingly candid voice, America By Heart will include selections from classic and contemporary readings that have moved her-from the nation's founding documents to great speeches, sermons, letters, literature and poetry, biography, and even some of her favorite songs and movies. Here, too, are portraits of some of the extraordinary men and women she admires and who embody her deep love of country, her strong rootedness in faith, and her profound love and appreciation of family. She will also draw from personal experience to amplify these timely (and timeless) themes--themes that are sure to inspire her numerous fans and readers all across the country.

~Amazon.com~

What else? Herself! :lmfao:

In the fall of 2009, with the publication of her #1 national bestselling memoir, Sarah Palin had the privilege of meeting thousands of everyday Americans on her extraordinary 35-city book tour. Inspired by these encounters, her new book, America By Heart: Reflections on Family, Faith, and Flag, celebrates the enduring strengths and virtues that have made this country great.

Framed by her strong belief in the importance of family, faith, and patriotism, the book ranges widely over American history, culture, and current affairs, and reflects on the key values--both national and spiritual-that have been such a profound part of Governor Palin's life and continue to inform her vision of America's future. Written in her own refreshingly candid voice, America By Heart will include selections from classic and contemporary readings that have moved her-from the nation's founding documents to great speeches, sermons, letters, literature and poetry, biography, and even some of her favorite songs and movies. Here, too, are portraits of some of the extraordinary men and women she admires and who embody her deep love of country, her strong rootedness in faith, and her profound love and appreciation of family. She will also draw from personal experience to amplify these timely (and timeless) themes--themes that are sure to inspire her numerous fans and readers all across the country.

~Amazon.com~

May have to go on my Christmas gift giving list. I actually hadn't planned on buying it, but that sounds interesting and I did like the passage from above.

George and Laura's books are on that list as well.

Based on this Amazon review, you would think she would be happy if people knew about her book. Like I said before, people take things out of context all the time and not just to Palin. She seems to have a strong group of fans, who will correct misinterpretations as soon as they see them. She has to be careful not to reinforce the image people have of her as being a whiner.

It's another day and Palin is being bashed.

Color me surprised.

It's a slow news day and her fans and excuse makers are so very intense. This is called the "fun of the Primaries." Those of us who are not won over by her are seeing things differently than many of you. What's wrong with that? B)

I was referring to MSM media sources bashing Palin, shoutStella. Another day, another story by the MSM.

I would hate to see all those not won over by Palin develop too severe a case of PDS. Hate is emotionally draining and counterproductive.

PS I did not think that on our site someone being won over by Palin or not would put me and thee in different camps, did you, my dear?

:rolleyes:

Color me surprised.

It's a slow news day and her fans and excuse makers are so very intense. This is called the "fun of the Primaries." Those of us who are not won over by her are seeing things differently than many of you. What's wrong with that? B)

Guest areafiftyone

Color me surprised.

I'm wondering if she actually thinks that rehashing her anger at Levi Johnston, critiquing American Idol while her daughter is on a like wise Reality based show DWTS and her and Todd are in the audience cheering her on (which I have no problem with by the way and I think her daughter is doing a good job) and slamming Michelle Obama in her book is actually going to endear her to more voters (aside from people who already think she is the next best thing since sliced bread)? Maybe she knows something I don't? Who knows?

The people on this site, that continue to feel threatened by Palin, her life-style & politics, as well as those across America; can now feel a little better by the pre-bashing of her book.

This is also a concerted effort to deny her a level of success in her latest writing endeavor; the same way "Going Rogue" was hit by the same insecure bunch that fomented "Going Rouge."

It's a pity that a segment of our American culture can dwell negatively, on a modern conservative woman. Especially women, but after their adoring acceptance of every man-flaw of our first black president, Billy Jeff Clinton; it just has to be expected.

That they can fail to see anything positive about Sarah Palin, says more about them, than it does about her. Oh, and this "Pandora" isn't going to go back in her box.......so rail away and look silly!

Based on what the excepts I've been reading...when I see the actual context they are NOT at all what is portrayed in this article.

I would suspect that her supposed hostility towards Levi Johnson is actually a condemnation of how elites on the left use young kids in a manipulative way to bash the actual targets of their hatred. They use people as tools with which to do their dirty work, and then toss them away cavalierly, which is one of the most inhumane and disgusting things you can do to another person.

I would also suspect that her "attack" on Michelle Obama is actually a "Unlike Michelle Obama, I have always been proud of my country even when it falls short" moment. And frankly that is something that needs to be said.

I understand the questions about Palin as a presidential candidate. I have those questions myself. But this article is nothing but a twisted attach in which even defending herself becomes part of the "twist." It's dirty and it's wrong when EITHER side of the political aisle does it.

(PS. Just to show that I am bipartisan, part of the reason I don't watch Hannity much is because I've discovered him doing this exact thing once too often to the other side. That does nothing but damage our credibility.)

I would also suspect that her "attack" on Michelle Obama is actually a "Unlike Michelle Obama, I have always been proud of my country even when it falls short" moment. And frankly that is something that needs to be said.

That is part of it, except it appears that in her book she ties that sentiment with "Hardly surprising, since the two of them spent 20 years in pews in Jeremiah Wright's church". They are also using that quote along with comments on Holder's "nation of cowards" speech to accuse her of "playing the race card".

That is part of it, except it appears that in her book she ties that sentiment with "Hardly surprising, since the two of them spent 20 years in pews in Jeremiah Wright's church". They are also using that quote along with comments on Holder's "nation of cowards" speech to accuse her of "playing the race card".

Then it is not a personal attack, but an attack on their ideology.

It is amazing to me how uptight the left and the elite are about the Palins. I've been reading about the DWTS stuff on Big Hollywood and there are "TV Insiders" saying that if Bristol wins, DWTS has no credibility anymore and will be ruined.

Which begs the question...Since when did it have some sort of this means something credibility in the first place? It's a popularity contest for Pete's sake. A gong show for the masses, just like all of these reality shows that have voting and panels of judges.

Good lord! They're starting to believe the schtick they made up to make money is important in elitesville. :lol:

NEW YORK (AP) — The publisher of Sarah Palin's forthcoming book filed a lawsuit against Gawker Media on Friday for leaking pages of "America By Heart: Reflections on Family, Faith and Flag" before its release next week.

The legal complaint was filed Friday in federal court in Manhattan, said a spokeswoman for HarperCollins Publishers. The filing came two days after Gawker published images of 21 of the book's pages and its dedication page. In response, Palin tweeted, "Isn't that illegal?"

Her publisher contends it is. The lawsuit asks that Gawker be banned from what it terms "further copyright infringement" and that Gawker deliver the source material to the publisher so it can be destroyed. HarperCollins is also seeking financial damages.

Gawker did not immediately respond to e-mails seeking comment Friday evening, but an item published the day before and titled "Sarah Palin Is Mad at Us for Leaking Pages From Her Book" defended the blog's actions and linked to websites defining the fair use doctrine of copyright law.

The blog was not the first site to publish excerpts from the book, which has been billed as a tribute to American values, but it refused to take them down after receiving a letter demanding that it do so, the lawsuit said. The Associated Press bought a copy of the book ahead of its Nov. 23 release date.

Palin's publisher sues Gawker over book excerpts

righteousmomma

Not that it does a bit of good but I shall repeat my usual mantra: "consider the source" and know how any good writer or editor can tweak any statement to fit an agenda.

Nancy Cordes who covered this for CBS is a very smart, well educated "reporter" who has expressed liberal/Democrat leanings by her attitude and tweaks.

She is the CBS reporter who while covering Glen Beck's massive rally Restore Honor to America asked a BLACK WOMAN this leading question:

“I’m noticing that there are not a lot of minorities here today, why do you think that is?”

and received back an unexpected response:

Black woman at Glenn Beck rally: “They’re probably over there with Al Sharpton."

This was on Newsbusters:

On Friday's CBS Early Show, correspondent Nancy Cordes reported on leaked excerpts of Sarah Palin's new book, 'America By Heart,' claiming, "some of the topics she tackles may be surprising." One such topic was Palin's criticism of the media for promoting Levi Johnston: "It was disgusting to watch as his 15 minutes of fame were exploited by supposed adults taking advantage of a lost kid."

While Cordes found that comment "surprising," CBS, and the Early Show in particular, were chief among those who exploited Levi Johnston and his attacks on the Palin family. As has been detailed on NewsBusters, throughout 2009 and 2010, the CBS Early Show has featured six lengthy stories on Johnston, including three "exclusive" interviews.

Read more: http://newsbusters.org/people/nancy-cordes#ixzz15pBHa3jk

Thanks for your comments, Rheo, Pollyannaish, Pepper, Chickadee, Argyle 58, SrWoodchuck, and Righteousmomma. Comments such as your's are why I continue to read TRR. Sarah Pallin gives me hope for the future, for my beloved children, grandchildren and great grandchildren. :) Seamary

Seamary! It is so nice to see you back here again. Please send on my best wishes to EternalHope and his family. He is missed.

and for an update.... ;)

NEW YORK — A federal judge on Saturday ordered Gawker Media to pull leaked pages of Sarah Palin's forthcoming book "America by Heart: Reflections on Family, Faith and Flag" from its blog.

The injunction prohibits Gawker from "continuing to distribute, publish or otherwise transmit pages from the book" pending a hearing on Nov. 30.

HarperCollins Publishers had sued Gawker after it published images on Nov. 17 from Palin's book before its release next week.

MSNBC

Hi shoutSeamary

Indeed she does!

Thanks for your comments, Rheo, Pollyannaish, Pepper, Chickadee, Argyle 58, SrWoodchuck, and Righteousmomma. Comments such as your's are why I continue to read TRR. Sarah Pallin gives me hope for the future, for my beloved children, grandchildren and great grandchildren. :) Seamary