The George W. Bush Fixation

Geee

george-w-bush-fixation-victor-davis-hanson
National Review:

The George W. Bush Fixation
Obama’s fixation on his predecessor could consume his presidency.

Barack Obama remains fixated on George W. Bush. For nearly two years, President Obama and his team have prefaced their explanations for the tough economy, the tough finances, and the tough situation abroad with a “Bush did it” chorus. Apparently, they believed that most of our problems, here and abroad, either started with George W. Bush, or at least would not transcend him.

At first, it was an easy enough habit to fall into. Things were not in great shape in January 2009 when Obama took over. More important, Obama started out with a nearly 70 percent approval rating. By contrast, Bush, like the punching bag Harry Truman, left office with an approval rating in the low 30s.

Obama’s serial fixation on his predecessor made little sense when he first took office — and it has now become a disastrous misreading of political realities.
Recent polls reflect that Bush and Obama are now just about even in popularity. Obama’s supporters in the House have suffered the worst shellacking since 1938. The president got out of Washington on a foreign tour immediately after the election — only to be cold-shouldered by fair-weather foreign leaders who sensed weakness. Bush, meanwhile, is basking in endless media exposure as he expounds on his best-selling memoir — appearing above the partisan fray, past and present.snip

righteousmomma

While I am one of VDH's biggest fans I found this article rather disappointing. It is a rehash of the same old talking points that he is saying Obama must drop and misses his own previous articles' Big Picture.

It is as though some strategist or fair and balanced shallow tv pundit wrote this one.

(Whut happened?

Upon reputing I refute VDH on this one. ;) )

While I am one of VDH's biggest fans I found this article rather disappointing. It is a rehash of the same old talking points that he is saying Obama must drop and misses his own previous articles' Big Picture.

It is as though some strategist or fair and balanced shallow tv pundit wrote this one.

(Whut happened?

Upon reputing I refute VDH on this one. ;) )

I used to write a column in college and this reminds me of the nights a column was due and you had to make the editor happy the next day...so you wrote about the evils of procrastination with only one eye left open and your heart in neutral.

I completely agree with your assessment that this is as thin as a pice of fiberboard.