Sarah Palin's happiness is what really irks liberals

pollyannaish

alg_palin_alaska.jpgNYDailyNews.com:

This past weekend, I traveled to Chicago to speak at the Conservatives4Palin meetup, where Mama Grizzlies, Palinistas and "ordinary barbarians," as she's now taken to calling her followers, gathered to hear speeches, talk about conservative issues, celebrate a hypothetical Palin 2012 campaign and generally worship at the altar of Sarah Palin.

At one point during the program, Palin made a surprise phone call to the group, patched through one of the organizer's cell phones and played over a loudspeaker. The room burst into spontaneous applause and frenzied yelping as she launched into a warm and cheery 20-minute "thanks for all your hard work" chat.

snip

It seems everyone wants a piece of Palin these days. Some are fans, some are hostile foes. But regardless, we just can't stop talking about her. Will there ever be a time when we decide that we've figured her out and there's nothing else to say?

And then it hit me. The reason Palin has become such a lightening rod, a kingmaker and a punching bag, a celebrity and a power player, is simple. It's because she's so gosh darn happy.

For her fans, like the ones I had the pleasure of meeting in Chicago, she's refreshingly upbeat and resilient, the bubbly friend from childhood who was always great at cheering you up and cheerleading you on.

But for her detractors, nothing raises the ire of cynical liberals more than a happy-go-lucky, totally unburdened, freethinking and self-assured conservative woman who has everything she wants and then some. And without anyone's help.

snip

It isn't the angry, antiquated feminism of a Barbara Boxer. Or the pushy defiance of a Nancy Pelosi, who refuses to go quietly into that dark night. Or even the brash "I can make you regret being born" argumentativeness of an Ann Coulter.

It's the kind of ambition that comes from confidence in her convictions and the security of knowing that no matter what happens to her in the press, she's got a happy home life and everything she needs to survive in the wild - the Washington wild, that is.

If Palin's critics really want her to go away, they don't have to worry about her politics, her faith or her folksy rhetoric. They need to worry about her boundless happiness which, like her favorite hunting weapon, is poised to be a warm gun for anyone who dares cross her path.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/opinions/2010/11/17/2010-11-17_sarah_palins_happiness_is_what_really_irks_liberals.html#ixzz15beSD8Uc

As far as I'm concerned this op ed NAILS it. This is what I love about her.

And this is exactly the thing that makes her detractors believe she is dumb and unserious.

I might add, that I have been accused of exactly the same thing. Maybe that's why I connect with her. If you are a positive optimistic happy person who treats people with respect and loves life you must be a blithering idiot. I once had a person tell me, after a short conversation, "I had no idea you were so smart. I mean, you're always such a nice, cheerful person."

I was shocked! Since when is being a nasty bleak person a sign of great intellect?

But think about it...that is exactly why the left thought that GWB and RWR were idiots. Optimists. Must be so stupid they don't see how horrible life is and why its not worth living.

Pollyannaish! Great postings!

Sarah has a sense of self, a "self-assuredness" [?] that comes from being comfortable with who she is.....something no one can take away.....although they've tried non-stop since her run as VP.

I have to think that those that are her fiercest critics, measure themselves against her bubbling life force and determination; and find their lives wanting.

Pollyannaish! Great postings!

Sarah has a sense of self, a "self-assuredness" [?] that comes from being comfortable with who she is.....something no one can take away.....although they've tried non-stop since her run as VP.

I have to think that those that are her fiercest critics, measure themselves against her bubbling life force and determination; and find their lives wanting.

I think even for many of us who are considered very small but still bubbling life forces on our good days (Life sucking forces on our bad days. Ha!) she leaves our lives wanting.

Which is why she is so inspiring! She reminds us to be grateful for all that we have, instead of whining about what we don't have.

Since when is being a nasty bleak person a sign of great intellect?

Well, having been through both undergrad and grad school, I can say some of the most knowledgeable and intelligent professors were also the most arrogant, obnoxious, rude, and just outright nasty people I've ever encountered.

If you've ever watched the Discovery show Storm Chasers, you'd see this first hand. One of the people on it is considered one of the foremost experts on tornadoes in the world, but each season he became more and more obnoxious and condescending toward anyone who wasn't on his team, and many who were. He just seems to be an overall nasty individual. This season, he is running a massive government funded research program, and has become as total a-hole.

I think it is more common for people of high intelligence to be arrogant because they allow themselves to actually believe they are superior. And of course liberals always think they are superior to everyone else.

Well, having been through both undergrad and grad school, I can say some of the most knowledgeable and intelligent professors were also the most arrogant, obnoxious, rude, and just outright nasty people I've ever encountered.

If you've ever watched the Discovery show Storm Chasers, you'd see this first hand. One of the people on it is considered one of the foremost experts on tornadoes in the world, but each season he became more and more obnoxious and condescending toward anyone who wasn't on his team, and many who were. He just seems to be an overall nasty individual. This season, he is running a massive government funded research program, and has become as total a-hole.

I think it is more common for people of high intelligence to be arrogant because they allow themselves to actually believe they are superior. And of course liberals always think they are superior to everyone else.

Is he the storm chaser that offed himself recently?

In any case, I've always assumed in situations like you describe, the only reason you know they are so smart is that is all they have going for them so they let you know immediately. Other, more pleasant people are just as smart, but feel no need to parade their "superiority" around all the time.

Being smart and obnoxious do NOT have to go hand in hand. Smart you are born with, but being a decent happy person is a choice. It can goes well with, or without, smart. :)

Is he the storm chaser that offed himself recently?

In any case, I've always assumed in situations like you describe, the only reason you know they are so smart is that is all they have going for them so they let you know immediately. Other, more pleasant people are just as smart, but feel no need to parade their "superiority" around all the time.

Being smart and obnoxious do NOT have to go hand in hand. Smart you are born with, but being a decent happy person is a choice. It can goes well with, or without, smart. :)

I wasn't trying to imply that being intelligent and nasty/unhappy go hand in hand, just that people who have higher than average intelligence seem to have a higher rate of nastiness. Then again, I would say where I work, the two most unhappy and angry people are dumb as a bunch of rocks, but are in some of the highest positions in the company.

As for Storm Chasers, the cast member who died was Matt Hughes. He actually died in May, back when they were filming the season. He had suffered from severe depression for most of his life, and doctors never found a way to successfully treat it. The person I was referring to as being a total jerk is Dr. Josh Wurman.

I wasn't trying to imply that being intelligent and nasty/unhappy go hand in hand, just that people who have higher than average intelligence seem to have a higher rate of nastiness. Then again, I would say where I work, the two most unhappy and angry people are dumb as a bunch of rocks, but are in some of the highest positions in the company.

As for Storm Chasers, the cast member who died was Matt Hughes. He actually died in May, back when they were filming the season. He had suffered from severe depression for most of his life, and doctors never found a way to successfully treat it. The person I was referring to as being a total jerk is Dr. Josh Wurman.

Matt Hughes. That's him. I liked him and was so very sad to hear of his death.

And yeah, I understood you weren't saying it had to be that way. It's just that too many make really dumb choices. :)

Wisconsin man allegedly shoots TV after watching Bristol Palin on 'Dancing With the Stars'

ct-talk-small-talk-1118-20101117

Shooting stars

A rural Wisconsin man is accused of shooting his TV with a shotgun and sparking an all-night standoff with police after watching Bristol Palin perform Monday on "Dancing With the Stars." Prosecutors say Steven Cowan of Vermont, Wis., about 20 miles northwest of Madison, did not think Palin was a good dancer, so he shot the TV and pointed the gun at his wife before she escaped, according to a criminal complaint. SWAT team members talked Cowan, 67, out of the home early Tuesday, and Palin advanced to the "DWTS" finals later that night.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/ct-talk-small-talk-1118-20101117,0,5648601.story

:unsure:

Wisconsin man allegedly shoots TV after watching Bristol Palin on 'Dancing With the Stars'

ct-talk-small-talk-1118-20101117

Shooting stars

A rural Wisconsin man is accused of shooting his TV with a shotgun and sparking an all-night standoff with police after watching Bristol Palin perform Monday on "Dancing With the Stars." Prosecutors say Steven Cowan of Vermont, Wis., about 20 miles northwest of Madison, did not think Palin was a good dancer, so he shot the TV and pointed the gun at his wife before she escaped, according to a criminal complaint. SWAT team members talked Cowan, 67, out of the home early Tuesday, and Palin advanced to the "DWTS" finals later that night.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/ct-talk-small-talk-1118-20101117,0,5648601.story

:unsure:

Yesterday, Rush suggested that Dick Cheney should be a contestant on Dancing with the Stars... Liberals across the country would shoot their TVs and this would spark a lot consumer buying as a great stimulus program.

Again Rush nails it before it even happens.

I don't know if anyone remembers Monday Night Football in the days of Howard Cosell. I was working as a bouncer & doorman at a sports bar in Denver at the time ["Sweetwater"-the only bar at the time with live music as opposed to disco] Cosell hated the Denver Bronco's at the time, and would never show Bronco highlights during his half-time segment [OK-there weren't that many back then-or now.] Our bar manager started a promotion to throw a brick into a television, as soon as Cosell's face was shown. Tickets were awarded for every drink purchased, and the winner chosen before half-time. I had to set up plastic sheeting, tune the old, used TV in to MNF and keep the crowd a respectable distance from the target. I was in between marriages & dating MrsSrWoodchuck, who was there for a few of the tosses.

Might work with Obama today, and as NCTexan! suggests; it would stimulate the economy, and might be the only thing associated with Obama that has done that.

I don't usually tune into the Discovery Channel, though I love to watch 'House' because I find it hillarious, but they both sound alike. I had very rude and obnoxious teachers in college who were all liberal, but the fun and friendly teachers were usually conservative or moderates who I actually learned more from, because it wasn't a total drag on life when you went to class...

I don't know if anyone remembers Monday Night Football in the days of Howard Cosell. I was working as a bouncer & doorman at a sports bar in Denver at the time ["Sweetwater"-the only bar at the time with live music as opposed to disco] Cosell hated the Denver Bronco's at the time, and would never show Bronco highlights during his half-time segment [OK-there weren't that many back then-or now.] Our bar manager started a promotion to throw a brick into a television, as soon as Cosell's face was shown. Tickets were awarded for every drink purchased, and the winner chosen before half-time. I had to set up plastic sheeting, tune the old, used TV in to MNF and keep the crowd a respectable distance from the target. I was in between marriages & dating MrsSrWoodchuck, who was there for a few of the tosses.

Might work with Obama today, and as NCTexan! suggests; it would stimulate the economy, and might be the only thing associated with Obama that has done that.

I remember Cosell, who's last days were filled with more conspiracy theories against him than JFK ever would have imagined. He was a delusional, paranoid fossil with a bad toupee when he finally kicked off... :blink:

If only he'd been 20 years younger, he could have been a delusion, paranoid fossil with a membership in the Hairclub for Men... B)

I remember Cosell, who's last days were filled with more conspiracy theories against him than JFK ever would have imagined. He was a delusional, paranoid fossil with a bad toupee when he finally kicked off... :blink:

If only he'd been 20 years younger, he could have been a delusion, paranoid fossil with a membership in the Hairclub for Men... B)

Ace!

Whatever he was, he was also a cracker jack attorney....one of the best in early sports representation. I enjoyed his back and forth with Cassius Clay [and later as Ali]. He was a grouchy old sucker.

I happened to be at the bar when he called threatening to sue us for the brick tossings.....the manager and I were having a soda before the "rush" started, and Jerry [Mgr.] thought it was a joke at first, and told him to, "....go ahead, sue the hell out of us, we couldn't buy that kind of publicity..." There was silence for about ten seconds, and Cosell started laughing, and said, "....if you think I'm going to help you advertise your bar, you are sadly mistaken..." We then heard dial-tone & we broke up laughing.

shoutSrWoodChuck

http://www.soundboard.com/sb/Howard_Cosell_audio.aspx

He was referring to your bar in Track #2:

"we look forward to an entertaining night"

Down Goes Frazier! Down Goes Frazier! Down Goes Frazier!

Pepper!

Thanks. We'd probably be arrested by Big Sis Incompetano's Homeland Secuity for a stunt like that now; in a public place. Some of those big old tube TV's really exploded. We bought them at garage sales & flea markets for $10-$25 @ and it put many more bucks back into the bar. I got $ 5.00 an hour & a percentage of the door charge [10%] plus two shift drinks, a meal & 4 "comp" drinks to placate customers. I drank all night if I wanted, and rarely had to beat on anybody........I was always talking them out of the bar, with my arm around their shoulders & wishing them a safe trip home, before the cops came.[6 minute, 20 second-response time]