House Speaker-to-be Boehner will fly commercial

Geee

house-speaker-to-be-boehner-will-fly-commercial-107046918.html
Washington Examiner:

Rep. John Boehner, R-Ohio, the likely incoming speaker of the House, told reporters today he will break with recent tradition and not use a military jet to fly between Washington, D.C., and his district.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., currently travels in an Air Force Gulfstream V, following in the footsteps of her Republican predecessor, Speaker J. Dennis Hastert, who started using Air Force planes to travel after the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks.

Military planes were ruled essential to ensure security of the speaker, who is second in the line to assume the presidency, but Boehner said Wednesday he felt safe enough flying commercial.snip

Brilliant PR move!!!

How much you want to bet the Democrats will complain that he's flying 1st class?

They will complain if he isn't strapped to the wing.

What do they do security wise for this? He just boards like the rest of us or with an entourage of six? They don't announce when he's flying ahead of time, do they? I like the gesture and PR move with it, but there are still some issues as 2nd in line for the presidency. :blink:

Military planes were ruled essential to ensure security of the speaker, who is second in the line to assume the presidency, but Boehner said Wednesday he felt safe enough flying commercial.

“I have talked to our security folks about the security that is involved in my new role,” Boehner told reporters on Wednesday. “But over the last 20 years, I have flown back and forth to my district on a commercial aircraft and I’m going to continue to do that.”

IMO, it made sense for Hastert to fly private because of the newness of the Terrorist threat, but after three or four years, it should have stopped. It DEFINITELY should have stopped by Pelosi.

Its a good PR move,there are security issues the need to be addressed. First and formost, that he is third in line of the Presidency.If both the POTUS and VPOTUS are "knocked" out(whether in a nuclear or terrorist attack), Speaker Boehner will have to assume the presidency(expressed in the Constitution and in the Presidential Succession Act of 1947 (3 U.S.C. § 19). In an emergency he will have to move by a "secured" plane and moved to a "secured" area.A commercial airliner are not able to do things a military plane does such as communicating with our Armed Forces in a catastrophic attack.

Edited by ErnstBlofeld

Its a good PR move,there are security issues the need to be addressed. First and formost, that he is third in line of the Presidency.If both the POTUS and VPOTUS are "knocked" out(whether in a nuclear or terrorist attack), Speaker Boehner will have to assume the presidency(expressed in the Constitution and in the Presidential Succession Act of 1947 (3 U.S.C. § 19). In an emergency he will have to move by a "secured" plane and moved to a "secured" area.A commercial airliner are not able to do things a military plane does such as communicating with our Armed Forces in a catastrophic attack.

To me, Speaker Boehner has been getting wrong advice from "security experts".A commercial airline though it may be cost saving, but it is not a secure place especially for a person who is third in line of POTUS. He will have to be traveling an a bullet-proof surburban van, flanked by D.C police. His life will be changed drastically. In a nuclear attack, there will be no place to land a commercial plane because airports are a secondary targets for Russian missiles. That is why the U.S. government(the Pentagon) has provided to him a plane to ensure that he safe and taken to a place where he will be able to communicate with all of our armed forces in case of a national emergency.. Remember, he will be third in line of the Presidency.

shoutErnst!

This is a PR move just to rub Pelosi's face in the mud.

My guess is that after a month or two, the extra careful screening by airport security of other passengers will lead him to conclude that it's easier and more convenient for everybody if he flies on an Air Force jet(and it'll definitely make the military and Secret Service a lot happier).

shoutErnst!

This is a PR move just to rub Pelosi's face in the mud.

My guess is that after a month or two, the extra careful screening by airport security of other passengers will lead him to conclude that it's easier and more convenient for everybody if he flies on an Air Force jet(and it'll definitely make the military and Secret Service a lot happier).

I agree

Edited by ErnstBlofeld