Obama's Trip to India: Nailing Down a Realistic Cost Figure

Pepper

index.php?
TRR:

TRR Exclusive.

We have all read about Mr. Obama's trip to India and Indonesia and that it might cost as much as $200,000,000 per day for 10 days or 2 billion dollars. That figure came first came from an Indian news agency..

The cost has taken the world by storm. Detractors would love to believe it.

India is going all out for the Man-Child's arrival. Removing coconuts, and the US military is supposedly building a tunnel to secure our President for a kilometer ride - see below. It is a trip filled with security risks.

But I am a skeptic on the costs. There are few detailed accounts prepared by the GAO for a Presidential trip. But one is President Clinton's six country tour to Africa with 1,300 folks and for 10 days, I took a pencil to it. The source is: Costs and Accounting For the President’s 1998 Trips to Africa, Chile, and China

Using that report and 10 days for 1,300 individuals, Mr. Clinton's trip cost $42,805,992 not reflecting Secret Service costs. This includes all advance trip preparations that were made. That is a per day cost of $4,280,599 in 1998 dollars or $3,293 per person per day.

Using a CPI converter the total 1998 trip cost of $42,805,992 would be in 2010 $57,625,000 or $5,762,500 per day for 1,300 persons or $4,327 per person per day.

There are at least two apparently unchallenged figures, 3,000 people in Mr. Obama's entourage and 10 days for the length. Using those figures against the adjusted figures for Mr. Clinton's trip, Mr. Obama's trip would be $17,287,500,000 per day. So let us round up a bit. That gets us to $20,000,000 - a far cry from $200,000,000.

It is possibly a conversion problem from dollars to rupees to crore, an overdose of samosas, wishful thinking, or someone misreading decimals for commas.

Even at 'just' a $200,000,000 total cost, using Mr. Clinton's 1998 trip as a base, it is an insane amount. Mr. Obama could have used GoToMeeting.com or Skype and have money left over for wagyu beef, lobster and slurpees.

Source material:

Source: Costs and Accounting For the President’s 1998 Trips to Africa, Chile, and China

GAO/NSIAD-99-164

Some articles:

DNA India. This was the source of the figure
The US will be spending a whopping $200 million (Rs900 crore) per day on President Barack Obama's visit to the city.

"The huge amount of around $200 million would be spent on security, stay and other aspects of the presidential visit," a top official of the Maharashtra government privy to the arrangements for the high-profile visit said. About 3,000 people including Secret Service agents, US government officials and journalists will accompany the president.
snip

Tunnel for Obama near Mani Bhavan

Obama’s India extravaganza angers Americans
November 04, 2010 06:57 PM | Moneylife Digital Team. The US is still crawling through a recession and its citizens are unhappy that their president is squandering huge resources on a vacation.
There's a groundswell of anger in the US over the high cost of Barack Obama's trip to India this weekend. The sentiment stems from reports that the president and his entourage of about 3,000 officials, business people and security personnel will spend an estimated $200 million a day when he visits India for four days, beginning Saturday.

snip
There has been no independent confirmation of the expenditure figures, but the White House was quick to respond, saying that the figures cited have no basis in reality.
snip

How much do Obama's foreign trips cost?
Josh Gerstein
An thinly sourced report that President Barack Obama's upcoming trip to India is going to cost $200 million a day looks to be grossly inflated, but how much do presidential trips abroad actually cost?
That answer isn't quite as secret as the White House and some press reports would have you believe.
snip
However, about a decade ago, the General Accounting Office released two fairly detailed reports on President Bill Clinton's foreign travels (view them here and here). Secret Service costs were omitted as classified, but other government expenses were tallied up. A Clinton trip to six countries in Africa in 1998 rang up at $42.8 million, most of that for military aircraft costs. A trip to Chile came in at $10.5 million. A trip to China that year cost $18.8 million.
snip

Fuzzy Math Dogs Obama’s Asia Trip
By Jonathan Weisman
As if Tuesday’s shellacking wasn’t enough, President Barack Obama is getting pilloried by the right on the cost of his 10-day trip to Asia, with outlandish hyperventilation going directly from suspect Indian media reports to conservative U.S. media outlets and commentators without a pause for fact-checking.
snipSnopes.com, a website devoted to myth busting, noted that even if the Indian press has correctly reported the size of the president’s entourage – 3,000 – the cost would work out to $66,000 per person per day, “a figure that stretches credulity to the breaking point.” Factcheck.org noted that the entire war in Afghanistan costs $190 million a day.
snip

Claim that Barack Obama's India visit will cost $200m a day is 'wildly inflated'
White House spokesman dismisses claim made by Indian news outlet and seized on by rightwing US talkshow hosts
snip

NCTexan! As long as he stayed out of harm's way for two years and out of our hair here in the States that would be well worth it.

Good work Pepper. 3000 people seems alot to "sponsor" for such a trip.

As much as I enjoy bashing Dear Leader when he deserves it, 200 million a day stretched my credulity.

Regarding the number, there are least 100 business leaders, so you can expect each to have a small contingent. Then you have the WH staff, WH toadies, and security.

Sniffer dogs have their places, too.

US Prez’s sniffer dogs to fly in to five-star facilities

righteousmomma

Whatever the costs.

WHY is he going? WHO talked him into this ridiculous charade and why?

and finally:

Quick!!! Lets go change the locks on the White House while they are out.

righteousmomma

On a more serious notes :rolleyes:

I found these quotes from 2 different Washington Post articles interesting:

The message matters most in Obama's first stop, India, where many fear that the progress made in the U.S.-India relationship during the George W. Bush administration has stalled.

In contrast to China, the U.S. balance of trade with India's fast-growing economy is roughly equal. The value of U.S. goods exported to India has quadrupled to $17 billion annually over the past seven years.

Obama, who also traveled to Asia his first year in office, has increased the U.S. presence in several Asian economic forums and is joining another. And he has expanded defense cooperation with some Asian nations, including ones on his itinerary.

"The United States was not as present in the region as our interests dictated we should be," Thomas E. Donilon, Obama's national security adviser, said in a recent interview. "We had a vision, and now we're at the center of the emerging security and economic architecture in Asia. . . . We are not going to be the administration that lets the rise of Asia pass us by."

Obama and his foreign policy team believed that the Middle East, in particular, was occupying too much attention. They concluded that, over the long term, the economies and ambitions of China, Japan, India and other Asian nations could prove more important to U.S. interests.

Yet even if Obama refrains from challenging Pakistan directly, officials here said, they fear the president will seek to enhance the civil nuclear partnership with India. That, they said, could disturb the military balance on the subcontinent.

"If there is an effort to build India up as a regional influence, a country that is assigned the responsibility for security in the region, that is unacceptable for Pakistan," said Maleeha Lodhi, another former ambassador to Washington. "Clearly, for deterrence to work, we need the minimum threshold of conventional balance."

Thanks for doing all that work, shoutPepper. Dare we assume that those business people are paying some of their own costs? No? sigh.

I note that the figures in the article do not take into account the cost of tasking an entire carrier fleet off the coast of India for the duration of the trip. Not sure what that actually costs, but I'm sure it does much to push toward that $200,000,000.00 per day price tag of the trip.

I don't think that I've ever heard of this particular move for a travelling president, and I have no idea exactly what security threat there would be that would require a 34 vessel naval fleet in attendance. Has Al Qeada acquired a navy or airforce while I wasn't looking?

Look at the GAO pdf file, Argyle.

http://www.gao.gov/archive/1999/ns99164.pdf

It gives a good break down of the African trip made by Mr. Clinton as well as the trip to Chile.

I note that the figures in the article do not take into account the cost of tasking an entire carrier fleet off the coast of India for the duration of the trip. Not sure what that actually costs, but I'm sure it does much to push toward that $200,000,000.00 per day price tag of the trip.

I don't think that I've ever heard of this particular move for a travelling president, and I have no idea exactly what security threat there would be that would require a 34 vessel naval fleet in attendance. Has Al Qeada acquired a navy or airforce while I wasn't looking?

Thanks for doing all that work, shoutPepper. Dare we assume that those business people are paying some of their own costs? No? sigh.

Actually, many of them are paying at least some of their own expenses, or their companies are. At least they are taking care of their own travel expenses. Most are flying in on their own aircraft.

Pepper!

I was a little worried that the Left could use the $200m issue as proof of the Right's hyperbole concerning their opposition party.

However, on my run this morning... I remembered the $200 BILLION statement by the VPOTUS just a couple weeks ago. Let's stand up for Joe on this one.

OK Lefties... bring it on!

Actually, many of them are paying at least some of their own expenses, or their companies are. At least they are taking care of their own travel expenses. Most are flying in on their own aircraft.

I wonder how many congress critters/political types are flying with them on their company jets?

Look at the GAO pdf file, Argyle.

http://www.gao.gov/archive/1999/ns99164.pdf

It gives a good break down of the African trip made by Mr. Clinton as well as the trip to Chile.

Read it, and still don't see where Billy had a carrier fleet tasked for his trips. The vast majority of the DOD expenses outlined for the Clinton trips were for aircraft and aircraft support, with a minor amount spent on armed troops for security operations.

At first read, it seemed impossible to spend that much for a 4 day trip, even if they're stocking his Taj Mahal suite with Louis the XIII "Black Pearl" Cognac in black Baccarat crystal [$10K@] or $3K-$5K scotch single malts. The one kilometer air-conditioned, closed circuit TV, bomb-proof tunnel & the 34 ship flotilla, did seem a bit much. Don't we already have assets at Diego Garcia?

That being said, I see some positive aspects to this trip:

Obama has not been as engaged with India as Bush was, and the Indian government has said so, in plain terms. We've been more involved with Pakistan; as needed to prosecute the wars in Iraq, and more so in Afghanistan. This is a good way to give a signal to Pakistan that we are good allies with India, and might expect more of the Pakistanis, with regard to the vast sums we are giving them, in return for their "help" against the Taliban. Personally, I think it a good move to put a "tickle" in the Paki government's [& ISI] concerns about our relationship with India.

Whether we have assets at Diego Garcia, or not, we need to project naval force in the Indian Ocean; and this is an excellent exercise for the benefit of India's other neighbor, China. I understand the bulk of this naval force to be missile defense oriented. Even if used as a feint, to give misleading info to China about actual tactics; it could prove useful if we're required to defend Taiwan.

India is one of the largest emerging economies in the world, with a vast consumer base. We need trading allies and not a possibility of losing market share in Asia.

I dislike Obama & his ideology personally, but still see a silver lining in this India trip. I just wish he were less pompous & arrogant. I've read that the Indians themselves have gone all out for his trip; but are laughing at some of the pomp & circumstance.

The American "Sun King" brings his royal retinue of fawners & sycophants, for a tour of the Raj.

South Mumbai wears deserted look, as Obama arrives

Unlike everyday, south Mumbai today wore a deserted look with residents remaining indoors and shops shut, as part of security arrangements for US President Barack Obama's visit here.

snip

Over 5,000 security personnel, including US security men, Indian intelligence officials and elite commandos have been deployed in south Mumbai alone, as all venues on the itinerary of the POTUS fall in this region, police said.

snip

Why Obama is going to India.....

Monsoon: The Indian Ocean and the Future of American Power

Robert D Kaplan

51gVKP0kLxL.jpg

Hugh Hewitt: Robert Kaplan On His New Book, Monsoon

Transcript

My take on this book (note: I'm only 1/2 through it)

Well worth the time spent, say what you will, the guy can write! A word of warning however...be careful you might learn something you didn't know.

SrWoodChuck! NCTexan! Nickydog! Pollyannaish!

Brace for Monday mayhem on roads

NEW DELHI: Long traffic snarls were reported from certain parts of central and south Delhi after restrictions were put on roads to facilitate smooth movement of the cavalcade of the visiting US president and the First Lady on Sunday. Traffic officials say these jams were just the trailer of what may happen on Monday.

snip

Wait until you see the caboose in the cavalcade.

:rolleyes:

Pepper!

Whether it costs $2 or $200M a day... It's worth it!

"I"Bama and "ME"shelle are learning much from India's highly successful "GREEN ECONOMY" that he well bring home to the American people.

Ideas like the mandatory use of high speed rail to replace the inconvenience and dangers of America's gas guzzling SUV's.

Environmental Justice for the World at All Costs!

indiatrain.jpg

"Just plain folks" streaming in to see The One.

shoutNCTexan

Don't forget FLOTUS

'Keep dreaming. Keep dreaming big, huge, gigantic dreams. Not just for yourself, but for our community and the world.''

I am dreaming of 2012.

First Couple bridges the generation gap

snipThe school management gifted their high-profile guests a portrait of Jesus and a wall hanging.snip

I wonder where it will be hung?

New Delhi Live: Obama to Indian Parlament....

"I might not be here if not for Gandhi's message!"

"India opened our minds and expanded our moral imagination."

poverty_india.jpg

Edited to add... NCTexan quote: "Give me a frappin' break Bubblehead!"

righteousmomma

snipThe school management gifted their high-profile guests a portrait of Jesus and a wall hanging.

I wonder where it will be hung?

Don't worry they 'll probably send the portrait back and gift the school with a copy of a real hero : TAAADAAAAA CAPTAIN OBAMA.

Your first black superhero who is also the longawaited Golden Child.