Report: Recording Captures Brown Camp Calling Whitman a 'Whore

Geee

report-recording-captures-brown-camp-calling-whitman-whore
Fox News:

In a private conversation captured on audiotape, California Democratic gubernatorial candidate Jerry Brown or one of his aides can be heard referring to Republican rival Meg Whitman as a "whore," the Los Angeles Times reported late Thursday.

The exchange, recorded by a voicemail, discussed Whitman cutting a deal to protect law enforcement pensions as the candidates competed for endorsements from police, the L.A. Times said.snip

I wonder where that ultimate champion of women, Gloria Allred, stands on this one? I suspect her silence will be deafening. :rolleyes:

Guest areafiftyone

He'll get away with it - just like Chuck Schumer did when he called that flight attendant a BEEYATCH!! And they have the nerve to call Republican men chauvinistic.

The audio can be heard with a link at the bottom of this page LINK

Very hard to hear last part of conversation once he thinks phone is hung up, but someone does say it.

I wonder where that ultimate champion of women, Gloria Allred, stands on this one? I suspect her silence will be deafening. :rolleyes:

Are you suggesting she won't come to the aid of a Republican? I am shocked, shocked I tell you.

whore-gate-jerry-brown-apologizes-to-meg-whitman-for-aides-sexist-slur
Mediaite:

There is a new twist in the already heated gubernatorial race in California, and it centers around a “private” conversation between Democratic candidate Jerry Brown and a unidentified staffer who referred to his opponent Meg Whitman as a “whore.” The conversation was inadvertently caught on tape and has increased tensions in a tight and bitter campaign.

NBC News obtained the voicemail last night, and shortly after news broke of its existence, Jerry Brown’s camp issued the following statement: “This was a jumbled and often inaudible recording of a private conversation. At times our language was salty. We apologize to Ms. Whitman and anyone who may have been offended.” Predictably, Ms. Whitman’s campaign.

Predictably, the Whitman campaign responded via spokesman Sarah Pompei, who released the following response to reports of the recording late Thursday: “The use of the term ‘whore’ is an insult to both Meg Whitman and to the women of California. This is an appalling and unforgivable smear against Meg Whitman. At the very least Mr. Brown tacitly approved this despicable slur and he himself may have used the term at least once on this recording.”

Whitman’s campaign is likely thrilled to have the media no longer covering the story of the candidate’s alleged hiring of an illegal immigrant to work in her home, instead focused on her opponent put in the unenviable position of defending his aide’s use of “whore.” California!

Video at link

pollyannaish
“This was a jumbled and often inaudible recording of a private conversation. At times our language was salty. We apologize to Ms. Whitman and anyone who may have been offended.”

This is such a clumsy way to make an apology.

If I ever said something like this, I would apologize this way.

I was wrong to call my opponent a whore. I am sorry and ask for Ms. Whitman to forgive me.

What that does is unequivocally take responsibility for bad behavior, AND from a tactical point of view gives your opponent no other option but to accept the apology and move on. To do otherwise would be ungrateful.

BUT instead politicians make statements like this one which when diseected by what they said v. what they meant does them more harm than good and allows it to be used as a weapon.

This was a jumbled and often inaudible recording of a private conversation. Maybe we did, maybe we didn't but we're not going to say one way or another because we don't really want you to know.

At times our language was salty. Yeah, so, we are course people. We're not going to apologize for that. Everybody does it.

We apologize to Ms. Whitman and anyone who may have been offended. Yeah, well, if you were offended you're an idiot. So we'll make a non apology and in our own dismissive way laugh behind the backs of those so sensitive as to be "offended" by our nastiness. What peons! As far as Ms. Whitman goes, if we did call her a whore, well, fine. "We're sooooorrrrrrry." Insert eyeroll here.

This is really a "so what" deal—except it that now It is a test of his response, not of the actual act.

In words of someone I respect: Politician A: "Isn't that Adam Clymer? He's a real *******." Politician B: "Yeah, big time."

Ha. From Dana Perino at NRO

Where is the Outrage

One of Jerry Brown’s aides called Meg Whitman a whore. Outrageous? Yes. But don’t expect a slew of women’s-rights groups to come to her defense. They rarely do stick up for Republican and conservative women. I think that Whitman should put up an ad saying, “Stop the name-calling now. I have a singular focus — I want to bring jobs back to California. I want to make sure our beautiful state is as prosperous as it can be. I have a plan to do just that. I will be a leader you can be proud of.”

And then she can call him a !#*@ in the privacy of her own home.