Husband possibly saw letter on Whitman maid glitch

Guest areafiftyone

Guest areafiftyone
ALeqM5iNwSF1h9JvBjgE8o-IkuVk6-5BGAD9IIH9AG0?docId=D9IIH9AG0
Associated Press:

SANTA MONICA, Calif. — Republican gubernatorial candidate Meg Whitman says her husband might have seen a 2003 letter warning that their housekeeper's government records weren't in order.

The letter from the Social Security Administration is at the heart of claims by their former maid that Whitman and her husband knew she was in the U.S. illegally but kept her on the job.

Whitman for two days said she and her husband never received the letter.

But she told KNX radio in Los Angeles on Thursday that she suspects writing on the letter is her husband's. Her campaign released a separate statement from her husband — Dr. Griffith Harsh — saying he didn't recall the letter but it is possible he wrote on it.

A copy of the letter was released earlier by the maid's attorney.
snip

I wonder how many of the California voters even care about this story. I suspect it is a common practice to hire people and not question their immigration status. This entire story is very confusing and Allred getting involved might have actually hurt her client.

The Whitmans' first response in regards to the SS form was too rushed and exactly what Allred wanted. I'm not sure why they were so strong in their stateent that they had never seen such a letter. Allred made it clear there was such a letter by spelling out the date of it. Whitman should have left some wiggle room in her denial. So it drags into at least another day or two of her being accused of lying.

Guest areafiftyone

The Whitmans' first response in regards to the SS form was too rushed and exactly what Allred wanted. I'm not sure why they were so strong in their stateent that they had never seen such a letter. Allred made it clear there was such a letter by spelling out the date of it. Whitman should have left some wiggle room in her denial. So it drags into at least another day or two of her being accused of lying.

I really think they just didn't pay any attention to the letter when they got it. Maybe thought it was nothing and didn't care. I don't think either one lied. This is nothing but extortion. I'm wondering how much money this maid wants.

Guest areafiftyone

I wonder how many of the California voters even care about this story. I suspect it is a common practice to hire people and not question their immigration status. This entire story is very confusing and Allred getting involved might have actually hurt her client.

I'm sick of looking at that maid's hound dog face full of tears.

pollyannaish

I agree that was a definite political misstep. I think it would have been better to say that they did not recall seeing such a letter, but were looking into it—and then shifting the focus.

Once again, it is the appearance of lying that is the problem.

To be honest I think this is going to help Whitman more than it hurts her. It shows the absolute confusion that the current immigration law creates. She can not discriminate if the person has the correct identification, but is responsible if she has accidentally employed an illegal.

My husband works for Washington State's unemployment agency. He is not allowed to even remotely question the veracity of one's documentation in his work. To do so would be grounds for immediate termination.

I think the Whitman's could turn this to their advantage by pointing out how difficult this is, not only for them as the employer...but how sad they are because Nikki, who they consider a member of their family had to be let go when they learned and is now at the mercy of political operatives who are exploiting her.

Too bad we have to talk about it for another day.

Allred, (and more than likely Jerry Brown's campaign) made a major political miscalculation in releasing their October Surprise in September. Whitman will probably do what all of you have suggested, and this will fade away in another few days. If there is no significant shift in the polls next week, it's over for Jerry.

According to her job application, the housekeeper has a college degree, hardly the innocent waif Allred is trying to portray her as. During the innitial presser say a lot of crying, but no actual tears.

The Whitmans payed her the going market rate of pay, paid all the associated taxes, provided health insurance......not the acts of persons taking advantage of a desperate "undocumented" worker. No other members of the Whitman's domestic or personal staff, both past and present, will corroborate Sinillan's claims of abusive treatment.

As to whether or not they saw the letter from the IRS (or SSA) is up for debate, but it is just as likely that a housekeeper trying to hide her immigration status had access to the letter and "mislaid" it.