The Last Green Puppy: Still a Dog Named ‘Cap’

Geee

article.php?id=39028
Human Events:

Should Senate Republicans turn the “last living puppy” out in the cold this fall?

Yes, because in this case the “last living puppy,” according to Grist.org writer David Roberts, [http://www.grist.org/article/2010-09-07-does-the-res-stand-a-chance/] is the so-called renewable electricity standard (RES), which Sen. Harry Reid (D.-Nev.) says he will try to make the consolation prize in this Congress’ final clash over global warming regulation.

What is RES and why should Senate Republicans—pay attention Sen. Sam Brownback (R.-Kan.) and Sen. George Voinovich (R.-Ohio—make sure it is put to sleep (permanently)?

An RES would require that electric utilities generate a set percentage of their power from so-called “renewable” power sources, like solar and wind, by a certain date. The Waxman-Markey cap-and-trade bill passed in June 2009 would require that utilities generate 20% of their power from renewables by the year 2020.

This would be quite the monumental challenge given that solar and wind power provide less than 2% of current electricity generation and require massive subsidies to do so. According to the Department of Energy, solar and wind are each subsidized at a rate 55 times that of coal, 97 times that of natural gas and 15 times that of nuclear power.snip

Geee! Thanks for the post.

God help meeeeeeeee! I have an all electric home. I've insulated, sided with vinyl, have a "demand controller" and seriously monitor my consumption, burn wood in my zero-clearance Heritage wood stove.......and if they get their green weenie plans into law, I'll still be paying triple electric bills. Every time I do something to cut the bills, the ecofreaks do something to raise them. Excel energy [supplies metro Denver] had nothing but coal fired generators, but all of them with "air-scrubber" equipment installed, so they only vented steam.....but because these jerks hate coal, they are now all being replaced with natural gas. Recently the Public Utilities Commission announced that Excel may recapture all costs of the switch-over [several billion dollars] from their customers.......that's me....and now

this crap cap!

SorryshoutSrWoodchuck. Our electric and gas provider(one in the same) charges us a percentage every month for their plant expansion. Just got the bill yesterday-they have asked for a rate increase again also :(