White House hopes to get liberals in line for November elections

Geee

119605-white-house-hopes-to-get-liberals-in-line-for-november
The Hill:

White House hopes to get liberals in line for November elections
By Sam Youngman - 09/18/10 10:18 PM ET

President Obama and Vice President Biden indicated last week that they are concerned that liberals disappointed with Obama's policies might stay home this November, potentially costing Democrats control of Congress.

Obama made one key gesture to the left on Friday when he appointed Elizabeth Warren, a darling of the Democratic Party’s liberal base, to an advisory role at the new consumer protection agency.

Liberal groups applauded Warren’s appointment, but the White House has a long way to go before matching the enthusiasm that greeted Obama’s presidential run in 2008.

White House press secretary Robert Gibbs acknowledged this summer that there is a great deal of frustration in the West Wing with attacks from the "professional left," liberal commentators who say Obama has compromised on too much of his agenda.

But recent remarks from the president and vice president illustrate that both men see the support of disappointed liberals as important to retaining the House and Senate come November.

At a fundraiser in Connecticut on Thursday night, Obama joked that Democrats "just congenitally, tend to see the glass as half empty."

"If we get an historic health care bill passed — oh, well, the public option wasn’t there," Obama said. "If you get the financial reform bill passed — then, well, I don't know about this particularly derivatives rule, I'm not sure that I'm satisfied with that. And gosh, we haven’t yet brought about world peace and … I thought that was going to happen quicker. You know who you are."snip