New K-12 school in Los Angeles costs taxpayers $578 million

Geee

new-k-12-school-in-los-angeles-costs-taxpayers-578-million-101277944.html
Washington Examiner:

New K-12 school in Los Angeles costs taxpayers $578 million
By: MARK HEMINGWAY
Commentary Staff Writer
08/23/10 12:45 AM EDT

There’s been an ongoing budget crisis in Los Angeles this year. Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa was at one point threatening to shut city services down two days a week to make ends meet. Despite this, it does not appear that the city has been cutting back:

Next month’s opening of the Robert F. Kennedy Community Schools will be auspicious for a reason other than its both storied and infamous history as the former Ambassador Hotel, where the Democratic presidential contender was assassinated in 1968. With an eye-popping price tag of $578 million, it will mark the inauguration of the nation’s most expensive public school ever.

The K-12 complex to house 4,200 students has raised eyebrows across the country as the creme de la creme of “Taj Mahal” schools, $100 million-plus campuses boasting both architectural panache and deluxe amenities.

“There’s no more of the old, windowless cinderblock schools of the ’70s where kids felt, ‘Oh, back to jail,’” said Joe Agron, editor-in-chief of American School & University, a school construction journal. “Districts want a showpiece for the community, a really impressive environment for learning.”snip

Just for purposes of comparison, the new Major League Baseball stadium in Washington, D.C., cost $611 million to build.

Over half a $billion for a school in a state about to go bankrupt? I thought Obambi was arrogant and tone-deaf, but California takes the cake... :blink:

Over half a $billion for a school in a state about to go bankrupt? I thought Obambi was arrogant and tone-deaf, but California takes the cake... :blink:

AceRimmer!

You just don't understand... This school is necessary to make those young California minds feel comfortable with their own self image in these troubling times...

After all, this can easily be paid for by extending the 'early release' program some more... and taking a few more Rodney King beaters (cops) off the streets. California just has their priorities in order and leads the way for the rest of the country.

NC Texan!

I just have one thing to say to you: LOL!

Sadly, however, I think we'll all be paying for this school when CA begs Obambi to bail them out of bankruptcy...

California's motto, "Eureka!" [i found it!].....meaning the gold rush that brought California it's early population, can now be changed to "You Reeka!" [Where did it go?].

My suggestion for repairing the state finances in the short term, is to have them attract as many union headquarters as they can & re-locate them in California......since they seem to be flush with cash from members dues and every spare penny that Obama can stick in their pockets & out of ours.

It could be renamed Local 1850 [year admitted to the "union."]

ErnstBlofeld

I know where the school is located because it is about 5 miles where my grandmother used to live and I have seen the school. It is right at the corner on Wilshire and Pico. There were landmark advocates who wanted the Ambassador Hotel site to be designated a historical spot but the LAUSD bought the land. This not the first of these mega schools that the LAUSD is building. The school is an anathema .

ErnstBlofeld

Remember, the Ambassador Hotel site was paid by LAUSD in August 2005 and demolition began the same month in 2005. However, it does not excuse the largesse and cost of the school.

NCTexan

AceRimmer

SonofStrangeLove

Geee

SrWoodChuck

I think the three most recent large schools built in the US are the following three, all from Los Angeles.

FROM AOL

http://www.aolnews.com/surge-desk/article/the-most-expensive-public-high-schools-in-america/19604820

1. Robert F. Kennedy Community Schools, Los Angeles

* Price: $578 million

* Students: 4,200

* Size: 452,000 square feet

* Amenities: Fine art murals, marble memorial, swimming pool, 19,000-square-foot public park

2 Edward R. Roybal Learning Center, Los Angeles

* Price: $377 million

* Students: 2,500

* Size: 310,000 square feet

* Amenities: Dance studio with cushioned floor, triple gym, 418 underground parking spaces

3 Central No. 9 Visual and Performing Arts High School, Los Angeles

* Price: $232 million

* Students: 1,700

* Size: 238,000 square feet

* Amenities: 950-seat performing arts center, three dance studios, 300-car garage, ceiling-mounted projectors in each classroom, outdoor atrium for Japanese raku pottery.

If you do some basic math you get this:

Their construction budget for just the three schools is one billion dollars total. $1,187,000,000 to be exact.

The per student cost of these three schools are respectively $137,619, $150,800, and $136,471.

(That's not too much more than national costs of 18,000 to 25,000 per student station......Those little rascals are worth it.)sarcasm

It's news like this that makes people want to take pitch forks and tar and feathers to their local school boards, city, and county governments.

I'm sure this is great news for those California State employees who have been informed of the possibility that they will be paid with vouchers again starting October 1st. Difference this time is that most banks have already stated that they won't honor the vouchers.

pollyannaish

I love beautiful architecture. But sometimes in life, pragmatism needs to be the first priority.

Which makes me ask a very simple question:

What ever happened to cinder block buildings?

I love beautiful architecture. But sometimes in life, pragmatism needs to be the first priority.

Which makes me ask a very simple question:

What ever happened to cinder block buildings?

And institutional green or biege paint?

(That's not too much more than national costs of 18,000 to 25,000 per student station......Those little rascals are worth it.)sarcasm

shoutPepper!

Those "little rascals" will be the intelligentia & ruling class of our 58th State- Mexico!

The Peoples Republic of China is grateful for upgrades to it's property.

LOL, you got that right, shoutSrWoodchuck.

Wait til those numb nuts find out they either built on a fault line or used Chinese drywall.

I looked at the web site for the school, you'd think that by the time they graduate, you could get your pick of the equivalent of a graduate degree or better yet, a job with Acorn or with La Raza.

http://rfkcommunityschools.org/

They have little schools within schools in grades 6 - 12.

Learn about the vision and mission of Ambassador School of Global Education (ASGE).

The Ambassador School of Global Education’s (ASGE) nurturing environment helps children experience success in academic and social settings, and encourages an appreciation of the various cultures, languages, and communities around the world.

The school’s instructional autonomy facilitates a global, thematic curriculum that highlights a range of traditions and adapts to the families it serves. As part of a national network of schools, ASGE creates opportunities for teachers to collaborate nationally and internationally on student projects.

snip

Learn about the vision and mission of Ambassador School of Global Leadership (ASGL).

The Ambassador School of Global Leadership (ASGL) serves the academic needs of 650 students grades 6-12. Its curriculum addresses the California content standards through an “internationalized” lesson approach.

snip

Learn about the vision and mission of Los Angeles High School of the Arts (LAHSA).

At the Los Angeles High School of the Arts (LAHSA), students learn real-world skills necessary for success in life and the entertainment industry. Students are taught by professional actors, directors, dancers and singers, lighting, set, sound, and costume designers and technicians.

snip

Learn about the vision and mission of The School for the Visual Arts and Humanities (SVAH).

The School for the Visual Arts and Humanities (SVAH) program enables students to reach their creative and academic potential through a rigorous college preparatory education anchored in the arts. SVAH students develop self-expression through a four-year sequence of courses, hands-on experiences (i.e. arts internships at MOCA and LACMA), fieldtrips, and exposure to the art world. Courses in Western and world civilizations connect classes to local and global events, while Advanced Placement and college courses combined with annual visits to public and private colleges prepare students to access and succeed in higher education.

snip

My favorite is this one Caution: hurl alert

Learn about the vision and mission of New Open World (NOW) Academy.

The New Open World (NOW) Academy develops globally-minded, technologically proficient students who achieve academic excellence, recognize their common humanity and shared guardianship of the planet, and are life-long learners.

snip

shoutPepper!

Those "little rascals" will be the intelligentia & ruling class of our 58th State- Mexico!

The Peoples Republic of China is grateful for upgrades to it's property.

shoutPepper!

......nurturing environment helps children experience success in academic and social settings, and encourages an appreciation of the various cultures, languages, and communities around the world.......

So the homogenous quality of their carefully blended minds full of insipid doctrinaire pap, will represent the total uniformity of what we'll come to expect from robots of the worker class.

Learn about the vision and mission of The School for the Visual Arts and Humanities........[that] enables students to reach their creative and academic potential through a rigorous college preparatory education anchored in the arts. SVAH students develop self-expression through a four-year sequence of courses, hands-on experiences (i.e. arts internships at MOCA and LACMA), fieldtrips, and exposure to the art world. Courses in Western and world civilizations connect classes to local and global events, while Advanced Placement and college courses combined with annual visits to public and private colleges prepare students to access and succeed in higher education......

We'll train them in what we expect to see from robots of the artist class....to be exploited by, and for government propaganda. No need to develop independent thought. Creativity promoted within our strict idealogical guidelines. We will determine the multicultural blend appropriate for the masses.

My favorite is this one Caution: hurl alert

Learn about the vision and mission of New Open World (NOW) Academy.

The New Open World (NOW) Academy develops globally-minded, technologically proficient students who achieve academic excellence, recognize their common humanity and shared guardianship of the planet, and are life-long learners.

snip

This has to be the Soros syllabus that he attempted to institute in Russian schools, at a cost of billions of his vile capital. I read a fascinating article about the financing of the leftist programs by purely capitalist entities, that have undermined our country for years; in the name of charity. [ at Doug Ross @ Journal ] We financed this whole pile of progressive crap, just by being consumers & not paying attention.

BTW- I graduated from Foothills High School, in Bakersfield, California [ City motto: "A dry riverbed runs through it!" ] where as a senior, I competed in the California "One Act Play Competition" for my school. [ I lettered in Drama-hah ] It was held at San Fernando Junior College that year [Cali has always had great Jr. Colleges] where I competed against Ron Howard [ He performed "Inherit the Wind" I think ] and one of Kirk Douglas's sons [ Either "Waiting for Godot" or "Spoon River Anthology" ], I was in a condensed version of Maxwell Andersons, "Winged Victory" and after everyone had given their plays [over a three day period] everyone gathered in the gym and they were critiqued as a group & then individually [while standing in front of the entire audience] as actors; by a panel of television & movie actors, directors & producers. One of the judges was Deforest Kelly, the medical crewman "Bones" on Star Trek. Needless to say it was meant to either encourage your continued study in that area, or embarass the living hell out of you & teach you, you'd be better off, on the wooden end of a shovel. Outside of sack lunches & gas out of pocket, we had no expenses. The Jr. College had away games for those days & I don't think an honorarium was paid to any of the judges. We were required to bring all our set designers, stage crew, etc. & we were helped with lighting & the sound board........but if the California school system spent more than a couple of thousand dollars for the whole competition.....I'd be really surprised.

I think I was cheated......is it too late to get in the queue to sue someone important, in California?

ErnstBlofeld

Their construction budget for just the three schools is one billion dollars total. $1,187,000,000 to be exact.

The per student cost of these three schools are respectively $137,619, $150,800, and $136,471.

It's news like this that makes people want to take pitch forks and tar and feathers to their local school boards, city, and county governments.

It is not cheap to put up a building in LA especially on prime real estate. You have to deal with the contractors and the unions, do enviormental impact reports,have hearings, then you need to deal with the city,county and state engineers to make sure to make everything is compliant.They have the power to fine for infractions and the power to completely shutdown a site. My dad had to wait 5 years until he got the O.K to build an extension to his factory.After the 1994 quake, it took us three years for us to rebuild our home. Reason, city engineers were making changes to the plans.It is easy to construct a building in Glendale or Burbank. The City of Los Angeles is notorious for bureaucracy of the rules and regulations of construction. But, the school went overboard on this.

It is not cheap to put up a building in LA especially on prime real estate. You have to deal with the contractors and the unions, do enviormental impact reports,have hearings, then you need to deal with the city,county and state engineers to make sure to make everything is compliant.They have the power to fine for infractions and the power to completely shutdown a site. My dad had to wait 5 years until he got the O.K to build an extension to his factory.After the 1994 quake, it took us three years for us to rebuild our home. Reason, city engineers were making changes to the plans.It is easy to construct a building in Glendale or Burbank. The City of Los Angeles is notorious for bureaucracy of the rules and regulations of construction. But, the school went overboard on this.

You kinda remind me of of being Rodney Dangerfield is his first day in business class in "Back To School" when the student's started taking notes from him rather than the snooty English professor. B)

ErnstBlofeld

You kinda remind me of of being Rodney Dangerfield is his first day in business class in "Back To School" when the student's started taking notes from him rather than the snooty English professor. B)

56983720.jpg