Vineyard buzzes less for Obamas’ second visit

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel
vineyard_buzzes_less_for_obamas_second_visit
Boston.com:

OAK BLUFFS — Sharky’s Cantina is once again mixing its “Obamarita’’ cocktail, with tastes of the president’s favorite fruits, and the Locker Room on Circuit Avenue has restocked the “I vacationed with Obama’’ T-shirts.

But as Martha’s Vineyard prepares for the first family’s visit tomorrow — their second summer stay here since President Obama took office — the excitement that marked last summer’s arrival of the fresh-faced commander in chief seems to have ebbed like the tide.

Obama, now a tested president burdened by war and economic upheaval, may well get the peace and quiet he has been seeking as he settles in for a 10-day stay, presumably at the historic Blue Heron Farm in Chilmark where he stayed last year, local residents said.

“I have no desire to go chase him or see him,’’ said Elaine Allen, owner of the Laughing Bear clothing shop on Circuit Avenue, one of the few stores to feature a poster in its window welcoming the first family this year.

“Let him just have that R and R that he needs,’’ she said.

It was only a year ago that the president, a superstar after his historic election, rode a wave of popularity to The Rock. Islanders typically brag about a laissez-faire attitude when it comes to celebrities, but it seemed everyone wanted a glimpse of Obama playing golf or biking with his daughters.

But in the final days before his second visit, some residents say the excitement has waned along with Obama’s popularity after two years in office. Others say his poll numbers are not the issue; they just want to give the president the quiet he seeks.

“It’s not as hectic or as crazy’’ this year, said Maya Sharp, a clerk at Alley’s General Store in West Tisbury, one of the locations the president visited last summer. She remembers the excitement when Secret Service agents came into the store announcing that the president would visit. No one else was allowed in the store when he came in to buy candy for his two daughters.

“It’s just a laid-back feeling now,’’ Sharp said. “It’s like ‘Wow, he’s coming — again.’ ’’

One barometer of the plunge in excitement has been the sale of Obama-themed T-shirts, which designers had been banking on after the craze of last year. Clothing labeled with the president’s name sold by the thousands, helping to salvage a tough economic year for the island.

But this year’s T-shirt sales are much less brisk, merchants say.

“Last year, Obama gave you goose bumps, but I don’t think you’re going to see that this year,’’ said Alex McCluskey, co-owner of the Locker Room, who sold more than 4,000 “I vacationed with Obama’’ T-shirts last year. But so far this year, he said, his hot item is T-shirts of former President Bush asking, “Miss me yet?"
________
Somewhere, Bush is having a barbecue and laughing...
MissMeYetImage1.jpg

From Drudge's home page:

"Bush T-shirts outselling Obama on Martha's Vineyard..."

I guess we will have the t-shirt poll now.

pollyannaish

From Drudge's home page:

Oh great. Based on that poll, I'm going to predict that Che Guevara will be our next president. :lol:

From Drudge's home page:

Oh great. Based on that poll, I'm going to predict that Che Guevara will be our next president. :lol:

LOL! Has he spent more days fundraising and vacationing than actually working in the Oval Office after almost two years on the job? Enquiring minds want to know!

BTW: F&F just showed a few minutes ago that "Miss Me Yet" Dubya t-shirts are outselling Obambi tees in MARTHA'S VINEYARD, home of the Kennedys! B)

righteousmomma

:P

BTW: F&F just showed a few minutes ago that "Miss Me Yet" Dubya t-shirts are outselling Obambi tees in MARTHA'S VINEYARD, home of the Kennedys!

:P:o:D:lmfao::flag: