Krugman's detour on 'Roadmap' to solvency

Valin

100160259.html
Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel:

Paul Ryan
8/7/10

Despite watching European welfare states collapse under the weight of their own debt, those running Washington are leading us down precisely the same path. With the debt surpassing $13 trillion, we can no longer avoid having a serious discussion about how to address the unsustainable growth of government.

Unfortunately, rather than make meaningful contributions to this conversation and bring solutions to the table, Democrats have attempted to win this debate by default. Relying on demagoguery and distortion, the left would prefer that entitlements - often labeled the "third rail" of American politics - remain untouchable, and the column by Paul Krugman of The New York Times is indicative of the partisan attacks leveled against the plan I've offered, a "Roadmap for America's Future."

When I introduced the "Roadmap," my hope was that it would spur an open and honest discussion about how our nation can address its fiscal challenges. If we are truly committed to developing real solutions, this discussion must be free of the inflammatory rhetoric that has derailed past reform efforts. In keeping with this spirit, it is necessary to clarify some of the inaccurate claims and distortions made recently regarding the "Roadmap."

The assertion by Krugman and others that the revenue assumptions in the "Roadmap" are overly optimistic and that my staff directed the Congressional Budget Office not to analyze the tax elements of the "Roadmap" is a deliberate attempt to misinform and mislead.

I asked the CBO to analyze the long-term revenue impact of the "Roadmap," but officials declined to do so because revenue estimates are the jurisdiction of the Joint Tax Committee. The Joint Tax Committee does not produce revenue estimates beyond the 10-year window, and so I worked with Treasury Department tax officials in setting the tax reform rates to keep revenues consistent with their historical average.

What critics such as Krugman fail to understand is that our looming debt crisis is driven by the explosive growth of government spending - not from a lack of tax revenue.......(Snip)

The Flim Flam Man
Paul Krugman
8/6/10

H/T The Weekly Standard: Paul Krugman v. Paul Ryan

pollyannaish

Bravo Mr. Ryan!

Krugman is a piker. (Actually, I think that is inflammatory, so I probably should take it back.)

Bravo Mr. Ryan!

Krugman is a piker. (Actually, I think that is inflammatory, so I probably should take it back.)

Paul Krugman is no piker, he's an idiot and liberal toady, which is why I can't figure out why Obambi didn't hire him the day he stepped into the White House.