Are Democrats painting themselves as the lesser of the evils?

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel
AR2010071305395.html?hpid=opinionsbox1
Washington Post:

It would not be accurate to say that Democrats are worried about losing control of the House in November. It would be accurate to say that Democrats are in a screaming panic about losing control of the House in November.

The panic threshold was crossed Sunday morning on "Meet the Press," when White House press secretary Robert Gibbs said, "There's no doubt there are enough seats in play that could cause Republicans to gain control."

Gibbs spent part of the next two days claiming that he was merely pointing out the obvious. But when the president's chief spokesman points out the "obvious" fact that his party is in big trouble, it becomes self-fulfilling. On Monday, House Republican Whip Eric Cantor (Va.) gleefully agreed that "we're going to retake the House, as Mr. Gibbs suggested."

On Tuesday, as Democratic lawmakers limped back into town from a 10-day recess, a grim Steny Hoyer (Md.), the House majority leader, sat at the end of a long conference table in his office and was quizzed by reporters about the Gibbs-induced panic.

"Do I think he is right in there are enough seats in play?" he asked himself. "Probably close," he answered.

Hoyer agrees with Gibbs that the party could lose the House. It was enough to cause Democrats to assume the Edvard Munch position.

The majority leader hastened to insist that "I don't think we are going to lose the House" -- a clarification Gibbs himself belatedly added -- but everything about Hoyer's defensive and somber 30 minutes with reporters hinted otherwise.

He thought it "unfortunate" that voters have not come to appreciate all the good things in the Democrats' economic stimulus legislation. He said the Democrats "regrettably" could not pass a budget with a target for deficit reduction. And he said the Democrats have a "very difficult" political argument to present to voters before November's elections.

"I am sure you are going to ask me about the recent poll in The Washington Post; I am not happy about it," Hoyer submitted, preemptively, in his opening statement before taking questions.

Unfortunate, regrettable, very difficult and unhappy: These are not the words of a party leader who anticipates victory.

"I think Americans are angry," he went on. "Their economy is still not working the way it ought to work. We agree with that." Hoyer tried to explain how the anger has "unfortunately" -- that word again! -- been misdirected at innocent Democrats rather than at "the Bush/Hastert/Boehner/McCain policies."
________

"It's not our fault people think we stink!" :rolleyes:

...screaming panic...

Screaming panic...I like the sound of that.

In regards to the 2010 mid term elections I would mention that it's never a good idea to count your chickens before they hatch.

In regards to the 2010 mid term elections I would mention that it's never a good idea to count your chickens before they hatch.

Good point, Valin.

I no longer remember what I want my chickens to be. Do I want the Republicans to win so that they can not only take over the Legislature, but also take the blame for what is bound to be a long-term economic disaster? Do I trust the majority of Republicans to start doing the right thing? Is it possible for them to reverse the leftward tilt (or, more aptly, the dive into the abyss)?

Either way, I'm doing what I can to get as many of them into office as possible this November...and doing a lot of praying.

Good point, Valin.

I no longer remember what I want my chickens to be. Do I want the Republicans to win so that they can not only take over the Legislature, but also take the blame for what is bound to be a long-term economic disaster? Do I trust the majority of Republicans to start doing the right thing? Is it possible for them to reverse the leftward tilt (or, more aptly, the dive into the abyss)?

Either way, I'm doing what I can to get as many of them into office as possible this November...and doing a lot of praying.

I'd add another question....Have they really learned the lesson of the 06, 08 elections? I hope so.