Independence Day, From Afghanistan

Valin

?q=NDMxNzNiNTliNmE0OTc3NzRjZTIxM2U1YjY4ODBhY2M=
NRO: The Corner:

Kathryn Jean Lopez
7/3/10

An e-mail from a man with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers:

Although retired military, I am yet again deployed (even more voluntarily than before) under the flag of my country. I’m looking at it now, on my right shoulder. I am quite sure the sight of that flag has comforted and provided relief for more oppressed people than any other.

During my last tour in Iraq, I would occasionally have Iraqis thank me for coming to their country to free them from Saddam’s reign. I would always respond, “Don’t thank me, I’m only returning a favor”. That would naturally puzzle them, giving me an opportunity to explain about von Steuben, La Fayette, Pulaski, and Kosciusko – men who had probably no ties to the colonists and tyranny defeated. I then told them it was now their responsibility to do likewise when the opportunity arose....

I have yet to have an Afghan thank me, but I don’t come in contact with as many local nationals in my current position so I won’t write them off just yet.

Tomorrow, the 4th, is one of our few designated holidays here, so except for the Force Protection crew, we will enjoy our rare day off with a BBQ and a variety of appropriate diversions. No doubt the Sergeant Major will have a fitting ceremony planned, as well. As we reflect on the reason for the holiday, let’s praise God that He provided our country with the sort of men to wrest freedom from the grasp of a flawed government and create a system to sustain it 234 years ago.