Joe Barton retracts apology to BP

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel
38674.html
Politico:

Rep. Joe Barton (R-Texas) is apologizing for his apology.

After infuriating Democrats and Republicans alike with his public apology to BP and suggesting that a $20 billion escrow fund was a “shakedown” by the White House, Barton is now “retracting” his statement, made at a hearing with BP CEO Tony Hayward.

“I apologize for using the term ‘shakedown’ with regard to yesterday’s actions at the White House in my opening statement this morning, and I retract my apology to BP,” Barton said. “As I told my colleagues yesterday and said again this morning, BP should bear the full financial responsibility for the accident on their lease in the Gulf of Mexico. BP should fully compensate those families and businesses that have been hurt by this accident.”

Showing just how involved Republican leadership was in damage control over Barton’s comments today, the retraction was forwarded to the media by House Minority Leader John Boehner’s office. Moments after Boehner’s office publicized Barton’s retraction, Boehner, Minority Whip Eric Cantor (R-Va.) and Conference Chairman Mike Pence (R-Ind.) sent out a statement condemning Barton.

“Congressman Barton’s statements this morning were wrong,” the GOP leadership trio said in a rare joint statement. “BP itself has acknowledged that responsibility for the economic damages lies with them and has offered an initial pledge of $20 billion dollars for that purpose. The families and businesspeople in the Gulf region want leadership, accountability and action from BP and the Administration.”

Republicans, particularly Gulf state lawmakers, had fumed all afternoon over the comments, and some wanted Boehner to force him down as the top Republican on the Energy and Commerce Committee.

"People are calling for his head," said a GOP member of the committee.

Indeed, Rep. Jeff Miller, a Florida Republican, was the first in his party to call for Barton to resign as the ranking Republican on the committee after hearing Barton call the $20 billion cleanup fund a White House “shakedown.”

“I am shocked by Congressman Joe Barton’s reprehensible comments that the government should apologize for the ‘shakedown’ of BP,” Miller said. “BP has caused the greatest ecological and environmental disaster our nation has ever seen.

“I condemn Mr. Barton’s statement,” Miller said. “Mr. Barton’s remarks are out of touch with this tragedy and I feel his comments call into question his judgment and ability to serve in a leadership on the Energy and Commerce Committee. He should step down as Ranking Member of the Committee”

Talk on the House floor at a Thursday morning vote centered on the potential fallout of Barton's apology.

"It's fair to say there were some people who were very upset," added a GOP leadership aide.

Fellow Texas Rep. Pete Sessions declined to address whether Barton should step down.

"I don't feel like apologies are in order," Rep. Mike Burgess (R-Texas) said of Barton's remarks to BP CEO Tony Hayward at the Oversight and Investigations Subcommittee hearing. Louisiana Republican Steve Scalise agreed: "I don't think anybody should be apologizing to Tony Hayward. I think he should be apologizing to the Gulf States.”
________

"Never apologize, son, it's a sign of weakness".-John Wayne

And why should he apologize for speaking his mind?

"Never apologize, son, it's a sign of weakness".-John Wayne

If you always mean what you say and weigh your words carefully, there is never a need for an apology.