Helen Thomas RETIRES - effective immediately

Ghost

helen_thomas.jpgNewsweek:

(try not to barf with the accolades)

It's a sad end to a wonderful career, but perhaps not too surprising for a woman who was increasingly partisan in her golden years. Helen Thomas, who turns 90 on Aug. 4, announced her sudden retirement Monday following a firestorm of controversy over some ill-chosen remarks about Israel, which found their way onto YouTube.

On May 27, outside a Jewish heritage event at the White House, Thomas was asked by a Rabbi wielding a video camera if she had any comments on Israel. Perhaps not au fait with the way footage can spread on the Internet, she said, "Tell them to get the hell out of Palestine," and added, "remember these people [the Palestinians] are occupied and it's their land." When asked where they might go, Thomas responded, "They can go home … [to] Poland, Germany … and then America and everywhere else."

Thomas subsequently apologized on her Web site, saying, "I deeply regret my comments I made last week regarding the Israelis and the Palestinians. They do not reflect my heart-felt belief that peace will come to the Middle East only when all parties recognize the need for mutual respect and tolerance. May that day come soon."

But it was too late. White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs called the remarks "offensive and reprehensible." Lanny Davis, a former White House spokesperson for President Bill Clinton issued a statement saying that Thomas, who he used to consider a friend, "has showed herself to be an anti-Semitic bigot." Her speaking agency, Nine Speakers, dropped her from its roster, saying, in a statement that "Ms. Thomas has had an esteemed career as a journalist, and she has been a trailblazer for women, helping others in her profession, and beyond. However, in light of recent events, Nine Speakers is no longer able to represent Ms.

snip

THE ISSUE

Now if we can just have "the one" retire, Biden, Pelosi, all of the administration for starters... we would be on right tract to sanity perhaps

Al_Simmons

I love the way that Ronald Reagan used to ripost her acidic comments with his trademark good humor.

pollyannaish

I love the way that Ronald Reagan used to ripost her acidic comments with his trademark good humor.

Me too Al!

Me too Al!

Reagan did a good job at it, it was fun to watch. But, Tony Snow was able to get the rest of the press corp to actually laugh at her. Some of those scenes were classic.

I liked it when during 43 admin she was put in back row!

Ha!

and she was never a match for Tony Snow