Paul McCartney: Lay Off “Great Guy” Obama

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel
McCartney-Lay-Off-Great-Guy-Obama--95400529.html
nbcwashington.com:

Paul McCartney would like President Obama's critics to let him be.

“I’m a big fan, he’s a great guy. So lay off him, he’s doing great,” the British songsmith said on Tuesday, ABC News reported.

This year’s recipient of the Library of Congress’s Gershwin Prize for Popular song, McCartney is set to perform at the White House Wednesday evening and be feted by fellow musicians Stevie Wonder, Faith Hill, the Jonas Brothers, Elvis Costello and Herbie Hancock, among others.

Speaking at a press conference in Washington ahead of the event, McCartney, 67, said he planned to “try to have fun” but predicted a case of the nerves when performing “like, three feet away” from Obama.

The Gershwin Prize, named after songwriting duo George and Ira Gershwin, has been given out on two previous occasions, according to Reuters.

Stevie Wonder was honored last year. Paul Simon got the nod in 2007, which makes the ex-Beatle the first non-American Gershwin Prize recipient.

"It's fantastic for me to be here because as a little kid I grew up listening to the music of the Gershwin Brothers and loved it and had no idea, of course, that one day I might be in such a place, getting an honor such as this," McCartney said at Tuesday’s press conference. "I wouldn't have believed you if you told me as a kid growing up in Liverpool that this would happen. So it's very special for me."

The Gershwin Prize concert is set to be broadcast on July 28.
________

All that vegetarianism must have destroyed what few brain cells Sir Paul had left... :rolleyes:

Paul McCartney would like President Obama's critics to let him be.

There are many things I would like...the winning power ball number come to mind, but I doubt I'll get.

Who's Paul McCartney?

Clarence and Dorothy McCartney third son Paul. He his the night shift manager of a McDonald's in beautiful scenic downtown Detroit.

Who's Paul McCartney?

Clarence and Dorothy McCartney third son Paul. He his the night shift manager of a McDonald's in beautiful scenic downtown Detroit.

Thanks Valin!

I thought that it might be the Beatles singer and I would have totally dismissed it.

However, now that you clarified I might consider the words.

Who's Paul McCartney?

Thanks Valin!

I thought that it might be the Beatles singer and I would have totally dismissed it.

Beetles sing?

Who's Paul McCartney?

Thanks Valin!

Beetles sing?

Of course beetles sing:

Al_Simmons

Sir Paul knows about as much about politics and political philosophy as I do about music. His opinions on such topics should be given the same weight as would my musings about music (which I know nothing about) - if I were stupid enough to make them.

Heavy youthful drug use combined with life in a wealthy cocoon surrounded by rock freaks and liberal worshipers does not give one a good hold on reality - but hey, that's just my opinion, what do I know?

Darn! When I first read the headline, I thought "lay-off" as in, give a pink slip to. Well, color me disappointed.

Thanks, Valin! That's the same McCartney I thought it was.

His brother, Lennon, has that dent and scratch grocery outlet in south Chicago that Lennon leases from Blagojevich's cousin's mother-in-law, Lucy InDeSky.

Who's Paul McCartney?

righteousmomma

As a long ago and very former fan of The Beatles (the ones who use to sing in the late 60s) I think Paul must see his "Blackbird" song as prophesy fulfilled. He wrote it because of 60s civil rights issues here in the U.S. (Europe is fascinated by us in that respect) and now sees the victory in "Michelle, My Belle" and The One:

Blackbird singing in the dead of night

Take these broken wings and learn to fly

All your life

You were only waiting for this moment to arise

Black bird singing in the dead of night

Take these sunken eyes and learn to see

all your life

you were only waiting for this moment to be free

Blackbird fly, Blackbird fly

Into the light of the dark black night.

Blackbird fly, Blackbird fly

Into the light of the dark black night.

Blackbird singing in the dead of night

Take these broken wings and learn to fly

All your life

You were only waiting for this moment to arise,

You were only waiting for this moment to arise,

You were only waiting for this moment to arise"

Paul McCartney performs "Michelle" in the East Room of the White House while being honored by U.S. President Barack Obama in Washington June 2, 2010. Obama awarded McCartney the 3rd Gershwin Prize for Popular Song from the Library of Congress. Obama and first lady Michelle Obama are seated in the first row.

610x.jpg

610x.jpg

Thanks, Valin! That's the same McCartney I thought it was.

His brother, Lennon, has that dent and scratch grocery outlet in south Chicago that Lennon leases from Blagojevich's cousin's mother-in-law, Lucy InDeSky.

Who's Paul McCartney?

That's the one!!!! :lol:

Paul McCartney performs "Michelle" in the East Room of the White House while being honored by U.S. President Barack Obama in Washington June 2, 2010. Obama awarded McCartney the 3rd Gershwin Prize for Popular Song from the Library of Congress. Obama and first lady Michelle Obama are seated in the first row.

610x.jpg

610x.jpg

Really good musician, but, I am reminded of something John Sebastian once said in reply to a political question (I paraphrase) "Why ask me, we're musicians, the only reason we do this is to get chicks."

Really good musician, but, I am reminded of something John Sebastian once said in reply to a political question (I paraphrase) "Why ask me, we're musicians, the only reason we do this is to get chicks."

I gotta disagree with you on that one, Valin. IMHO, McCartney is a shallow but entertaining and charismatic musician. I mean, go back a few posts and read the Blackbird lyrics. They're OK, but given the times and the topic, pretty light and frothy.

Granted, I can't blame "Imagine" on McCartney, but he's still a lightweight.