Killer Seared Tuna with Pepper Recipe

NCTexan

This is a quickie "gourmet" dinner that we had tonight. It's always a pleaser and delivers much more that you put in.

I served with "super market" mashed potatoes and sauteed spinach. A nice medium RED works quite nicely as well.

I used some 3/4 inch fresh tuna medallions that were on special this week.

Seared Tuna Pepper Steaks Bon Appétit | August 1999

This recipe can be prepared in 30 minutes or less.

A spicy pepper coating and an Asian-style sauce give these tuna steaks an intense flavor. Joan serves mashed or oven-roasted sweet potatoes alongside. Look for the sesame oil in the Asian foods section of the supermarket.

Yield: Serves 4

ingredients

4 6- to 7-ounce ahi tuna steaks or equal medallions(each about 1 inch thick)

1 tablespoon coarsely cracked black pepper

1 teaspoons oriental sesame oil

1 teaspoons high temp vegetable oil

3 tablespoons soy sauce

1/3 cup dry Sherry

2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives or green onion tops

preparation

Sprinkle tuna steaks on both sides with salt, then sprinkle with coarsely cracked black pepper, pressing gently to adhere. Heat sesame/vegetable oil in large nonstick skillet over high heat. Add tuna steaks and sear until brown outside and just opaque in center, about 3 minutes per side. Using tongs, transfer tuna steaks to platter. Tent platter loosely with foil to keep tuna steaks warm. Add soy sauce, then Sherry to same skillet. Reduce heat and simmer until mixture is slightly reduced, scraping up any browned bits, about 1 minute. Spoon sauce over tuna steaks. Sprinkle with chives or green onion tops.

Last time I had it, it was lil ol' Tommy Tuna swimming one second, then the next, on my plate, red on the outside and the inside. I told the chef, if I wanted raw fish I'd go to the ceviche bar. He got royally p*ssed.

The recipe looks good, shoutNCTexan.

I could try this myself, considering I can control the doneness.

Last time I had it, it was lil ol' Tommy Tuna swimming one second, then the next, on my plate, red on the outside and the inside. I told the chef, if I wanted raw fish I'd go to the ceviche bar. He got royally p*ssed.

Pepper!

I like my tuna medium to medium plus... Don't mind if it's a little pink on the middle as long as the texture has changed from raw to cooked. If it's a cooked dish, I like it cooked.

However, I had the most amazing "toro tuna" sushi in Japan a few years ago. This is the most prized belly of the tuna that has a high fat content. The color is light pink like Double Bubble bubble gum. I wasn't sure what I was getting but it was wonderful.

tuna_belly_sushi.jpg