Yom Kippur and Kol Nidre

EveningStar

As you know, Yom Kippur, the holiest day of the Jewish year, begins today at sundown and ends tomorrow at sundown. The evening service begins with the Kol Nidre. It has a haunting melody. Here it is, sung by Johnny Mathis.

This is the translation from Aramaic:

All vows, obligations, oaths, and anathemas, whether called 'konam,' 'konas,' or by any other name, which we may vow, or swear, or pledge, or whereby we may be bound, from this Day of Atonement until the next (whose happy coming we await), we do repent. May they be deemed absolved, forgiven, annulled, and void, and made of no effect; they shall not bind us nor have power over us. The vows shall not be reckoned vows; the obligations shall not be obligatory; nor the oaths be oaths.

Kol Nidre is also part of the basis of a composition by Max Bruch, which can be found on YouTube in various performances and arrangements.

righteousmomma

Shalom, Evening Star.

Thank you for sharing. That was really beautiful and meaningful.

I have been very long fascinated by the 7 Feasts of the Lord of Israel. Their Prophetic and Eschatological importance cannot be underestimated --especially today.

• 2 years later...

Thank you, EveningStar. That is one of the most beautiful pieces of music I have ever heard. It brought tears to my eyes.

• 11 months later...