Thoughts from the ammo line (Geezers Rock edition)

Valin

Power Line

Scott Johnson

Apr. 26 2024

Ammo Grrrll reports: DOOM-SCROLLING TAKES A HOLIDAY! Commenter-Con3 in the Rearview Mirror (things are closer than they appear). She writes:

Well, Commenter-Con3 (April 14-16) has come and gone and, as my hometown newspaper used to report on all social gatherings, “a good time was had by all!” I TRIED asking attendees to hold off a week on discussing CC3 because I had an earlier – now defunct — version of this column in the pipeline. But it appears to have had a lot of the cachet of a Geezer Woodstock! And people want to signify that THEY were there! Fair dinkum!

So I hope to discuss it again by drawing some conclusions after a week’s distance. Don’t worry, kids, if YOU weren’t there personally (despite months of my begging…ahem), you can still weigh in on the lessons drawn in the last half of the column.

(Snip)

1. People came from 21 of the 57 states (Hat Tip: Obama), many bluer than a Buddy Guy guitar riff, and attendees were relieved not to have to self-censor all the time.

2. Youngsters, take heart! Unlike in many Asian and other cultures, in youth-worshiping America older adults are perhaps THE most “invisible” of all demographic groups and least respected. Do not despair if you are lucky enough to reach senior status! Most of our attendees ranged in age from late 50s to mid-80s. Please understand that every single attendee was still interesting, talented, fun, funny, and with it – even if occasionally our memories needed a teeny tiny jog. (“You know that actor – the one who has the charity for disabled vets?” “Gary Sinise” – yes! That’s it…anyway…”) There is no shame in being on “dial-up” instead of “high speed.”

(Snip)

5. Among our famous Deplorables who smell and have bad teeth if we believe “journalists,” we have everything from an astronaut who docked to the Space Station five times (and also has a set of autographed drumsticks from Ringo!) to a retired cardiologist and a bone doctor; farmers from Minnesota with some of the most hilarious stories around; not one, but TWO women veterinarians; several novelists; a Dream Team of lawyers; at least a platoon of military vets; scientists, engineers; a guy with no home but four motorcycles; and a gunsmith married to an artist, Meme Queen, and world-class cook and gardener.

(Snip)

8. And, of course, this doesn’t even scratch the surface. One of the most wrong-headed things F. Scott Fitzgerald ever said was “There are no second acts in American life.” Quoi? Let me – S. Marie Vass – tell you that almost every person I know who has retired from one or more jobs is busy contributing in some other way. Making baby hats for newborns; gardening; learning a new language or musical instrument; volunteering at the VA twice a week in Prescott; tutoring black kids in St. Paul; heck, even learning to shoot and becoming a columnist at 67!

9. The almighty arrogance and utter lack of self-awareness of our pathetic, degenerate ruling class boggles the mind. I love it when sometimes they say the quiet part aloud. To hear Katie Couric say that Trump voters are anti-intellectual and full of “class envy” at least lets me know that the spoiled near-talentless little twit ADMITS that she and her pals are in a different “class” and look down on the middle and working classes with total contempt. And back atcha, hon.

6naqux.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=8c9c9d2f653780

• Like 1