Jump to content

Excerpt from: Downtown Opelousas: The way it was before by Carola Lillie Hartley, Daily World


Draggingtree

Recommended Posts

Draggingtree
Excerpt from: Downtown Opelousas: The way it was before by Carola Lillie Hartley, Daily World
On June 21, 1805, the first land office for the Western Land District of the Territory of New Orleans was established in Opelousas. And soon the parish had a judge when Gov. Wm. C.C. Claiborne appointed George King in 1806. Postmaster William Shields’ appointment followed in 1807. These appointments led to more growth in the courthouse area of the town. The parish formed its first governing body, the Police Jury, and it also had a sheriff. Eventually, the town had a governing body, as well, called the Opelousas Board of Police. By the time Opelousas was officially incorporated in 1821, the town had grown and had many commercial and professional establishments. Some of the early Opelousas merchants included Col. Francois Neda, Col. William Moore, Thomas H. Bledsoe, Miramond-Vanhille Co., Pierre Wartelle, Jean Estorge — who partnered with Etienne Fouillade to form Fouillade & Estorge — and Antoine King. In 1823, Ludger Lastrapes and Jean Miramond of Opelousas formed a partnership in the mercantile line, called Jean Miramond Co.:snip: 
 
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • 1716243707
×
×
  • Create New...