Wisconsin voters approve constitutional amendment banning 'Zuckerbucks'

Geee

Just the News

Wisconsin voters on Tuesday approved two constitutional amendments to tighten election integrity in the Badger State.

The first initiative would ban the private funding of elections while the second would restrict election administration to "only election officials designated by law," according to the New York Times.

Private funding of elections has attracted considerable scrutiny from conservatives since the 2020 presidential contest. Such donations earned the nickname "Zuckerbucks" in reference to Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg, who made many such contributions in that cycle.

The Associated Press projected Question 1 to pass in a 53.9% to 46.1% margin as of 11:22 p.m. with 79% of precincts reporting.

Question 2 meanwhile, was projected to pass by a somewhat wide pr 57.8% to 42.2% margin as of 11:22 p.m., with 79% of precincts reporting.

:snip:

• Like 2

Wisconsin governor vetoes transgender athlete ban

At least 24 states since 2020 have enacted laws that categorically ban transgender athletes from competing on school sports teams that match their gender identity.

“States across this country may give way to radical policies targeting LGBTQ individuals and families and threatening LGBTQ folks’ everyday lives and their ability to be safe, valued, supported and welcome being who they are,” Evers wrote in his veto message. “As long as I am governor of this great state, Wisconsin will not be among them.”:snip:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Geee said:

Thee are many many Many things I don't Get. In the last couple of years near (AT?) the top is this Transgender Athlete thing (Actually the whole Transgender "rights movement). Why are Democrats apparently willing to die on the hill? It just make no sense to me. :scratchhead: This is one of those 90-10 issues. 90% of votes want one thing and the Dems support the 10.

37 minutes ago, Valin said:

Thee are many many Many things I don't Get. In the last couple of years near (AT?) the top is this Transgender Athlete thing (Actually the whole Transgender "rights movement). Why are Democrats apparently willing to die on the hill? It just make no sense to me. :scratchhead: This is one of those 90-10 issues. 90% of votes want one thing and the Dems support the 10.

I have no answers for you, but an observation. A good majority of those 90% still vote Dem - so they get away with it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Valin said:

1 hour ago, Geee said:

I have no answers for you, but an observation. A good majority of those 90% still vote Dem - so they get away with it.

I have to wonder if some members of the GOP really Want To Win? By that I mean so many voters Really have no choice. Here in the Twin Cities (and I suspect other large cities) there is no Republican Party. Oh they will put a candidate up, but they don't get any real support. Thing is so many of these places are just waiting like ripe fruit to be plucked.

1 hour ago, Valin said:

I have to wonder if some members of the GOP really Want To Win? By that I mean so many voters Really have no choice. Here in the Twin Cities (and I suspect other large cities) there is no Republican Party. Oh they will put a candidate up, but they don't get any real support. Thing is so many of these places are just waiting like ripe fruit to be plucked.

Well, voting here was a mixed bag yesterday. When we moved to this county 35 years ago it was deep red. Now, not so much. Illinois moving here because they screwed up their state and are moving on to the next. The school board ( the trans bathroom challenge of which I posted a few days ago) was half win half lose, so it will be one big argument. The open judgeship was lost by the conservative candidate. Three county position were unopposed. Zuckerbucks was voted out. Most of the poll workers have been the same for many years. Yesterday a couple of them were still there, accompanied by two younger workers. One had green hair, the other pink.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Geee said:

Well, voting here was a mixed bag yesterday. When we moved to this county 35 years ago it was deep red. Now, not so much. Illinois moving here because they screwed up their state and are moving on to the next. The school board ( the trans bathroom challenge of which I posted a few days ago) was half win half lose, so it will be one big argument. The open judgeship was lost by the conservative candidate. Three county position were unopposed. Zuckerbucks was voted out. Most of the poll workers have been the same for many years. Yesterday a couple of them were still there, accompanied by two younger workers. One had green hair, the other pink.

Thing is so many of these places are just waiting like ripe fruit to be plucked.

This is my larger point. I guess.

58 minutes ago, Geee said:

Wisconsin Democrats Pump Big, Out-Of-State Dollars Into School Board Elections

1 hour ago, Valin said:

I should have guessed this. Never in my life have I seen large road signs, yard signs and internet ads for a SCHOOL BOARD ELECTION.  I do believe it 

has to do with electing candidates to push trans issues. Bathrooms, sport, etc. I can't believe that Wisconsin would be the only state that is experiencing 

this. I would say that it would work to their detriment in the Midwest but I couldn't believe the number of votes the 'trans rights' candidates got. Don't know

how it worked out in other counties, but here one actually won. 

• Like 1