The Rain On Senate Democrats Is Now A Deluge

Geee

AMAC

At the outset of the 2024 U.S. Senate campaign cycle, there was general agreement that eight seats held by Democrats would be in play, and perhaps two seats held by Republicans.

Over the past few days, that estimate has changed dramatically.

Although the two GOP seats could still become competitive, incumbent Texas Senator Ted Cruz and incumbent Florida Senator Rick Scott now seem likely to hold on to their seats.

On the Democrat side, however, the original battleground seats remain quite vulnerable, while four more seats previously thought to be quite safe are now in play, creating serious problems for the Democrats’ strategists hoping to prevent a big conservative majority in the Senate.

Two of these races already seem to have been decided. In West Virginia, popular GOP Governor Jim Justice has a commanding lead to pick up the seat of retiring Democrat Joe Manchin. In Maryland, former popular Republican Governor Larry Hogan has a double-digit lead over either of his likely Democrat opponents in the race to replace retiring liberal Ben Cardin.

Maryland is a very blue state, and the race wasn’t expected to be close until Hogan’s surprise last-minute candidacy.

These two very likely GOP Senate pick-ups alone would give the conservative party the majority, assuming no Republican seat losses.

The Democrats, however face losing up to 9 or even 10 additional seats they now hold.:snip:

• Like 1
  • Love 1

@Valin This is one of those 'I'll believe it when I see it' headlines.  Been bamboozled too many times - uh, as recent as the last midterms.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Geee said:

@Valin This is one of those 'I'll believe it when I see it' headlines.  Been bamboozled too many times - uh, as recent as the last midterms.

There is a local columnist, podcaster  (Garage Logic) Joe Soucheray, who once said  "My guy Always Loses."  I would LOVE A Good Election for the GOP (Big Majorities in the House & Senate, Donald  Trump sitting in the Oval Office MSNBC going Suicidal :D) BUT we are talking about The Stupid Party.  I mean there are those who will not support Larry Hogan because he is a RINO GOPe Establishment Globalist  Shill. All very well may be True...but he's got an R behind his name. f I lived in Maryland I'd support/vote fo him because he is better than the Democrat.

• Like 2