RETURN OF THE CENSUS SNOOPS

Geee

Powerline

On a Sunday evening last November, a representative of the U.S. Census Bureau showed up at my house to take the National Crime Victimization Survey (NCVS). According to a letter from the Bureau, my address had been selected by a “scientific process” from “all addresses in the United States.” My address “cannot be replaced,” but as the Bureau elsewhere explains, “the survey is voluntary, and there are no penalties for not participating.

Two household members told the Census lady we had chosen not to participate. She demanded to know why we declined to participate, so I outlined some facts from the Bureau’s own letter.

The Bureau wants to interview household members as young as 12. People from each selected address are interviewed once every six months over a three-year period for a total of seven interviews. Interviews last 25 minutes so a boy or girl of 12 can be interviewed seven times for a total of 175 minutes, nearly three hours. No sample questions are included but “the Census Bureau is required by law to protect your information.” From whom “your information” will be protected is not explained.:snip: