March matchups: Seven things to watch as voters in Ohio, Illinois, and California head to polls

Geee

Washington Examiner

Although President Joe Biden and former President Donald Trump have become their party’s presumptive nominees, the 2024 primary cycle isn’t over just yet.

There are still plenty of down-ballot races to watch for as voters in Arizona, Florida, Illinois, Kansas, and Ohio head to the polls Tuesday.

Chief among them are the Republicans vying to run against vulnerable incumbent Sen. Sherrod Brown (D-OH) and the Republican candidate who will replace ousted former House Speaker Kevin McCarthy.

Biden still continues to face the problem of protest voters as Democrats aim to flip a state Supreme Court in Ohio.

Here’s what to watch out for on Tuesday.

Who will take on Democratic Sen. Sherrod Brown?

One of the most vulnerable Democratic senators in the 2024 race is Sherrod Brown. Republicans are looking at his seat as a key race to flip and help retake control of the upper chamber.

GOP candidates Bernie Moreno, state Sen. Matt Dolan, and Ohio Secretary of State Frank LaRose are all running for the chance to take on Brown in November.

Moreno boasts the backing of Trump, while Dolan is supported by Gov. Mike DeWine (R-OH) and former Ohio Republican Sen. Rob Portman.

Trump, who carried Ohio twice, appeared at a Saturday rally in Ohio for Moreno, where he slammed Dolan, whose family owns Cleveland’s baseball team and changed the name from the Cleveland Indians to the Cleveland Guardians, as a “weak RINO.”:snip:

• Like 1

Rep. Mike Bost (R-IL), who represents Illinois’s 12th Congressional District, faces stiff competition from fellow Republican state Sen. Darren Bailey, a right-flank candidate.

Bost has the backing of Trump and the fundraising advantage over Bailey, who is supported by conservative firebrand Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-FL) and House Freedom Caucus member Mary Miller (R-IL).

That is ALL I need to know.

@Geee

If I give you the impression I really Really don't like Gaetz...You are Right!  I believe he is A Legend In His Own Mind!