"In theory, the recent push for racial representation in elite America should have made the establishment more attuned to the concerns of nonwhite voters."

Draggingtree

Draggingtree
althouse.blogspot

March 10, 2024

"In theory, the recent push for racial representation in elite America should have made the establishment more attuned to the concerns of nonwhite voters."

"But in practice, this push tended to treat representation and progressive politics as a package deal, making nonwhites with moderate-to-conservative views more exotic, not less — as mystifying, in a way, as any MAGA-hat-wearing white guy in a rural diner. Again, I’m part of that establishment, and I don’t want to pretend that I have my finger fully on the pulse of, say, blue-collar Hispanics who went for Biden in 2020 but now lean toward Trump.... But the first step to saving Biden’s re-election effort is to acknowledge the need for such an explanation — because unpopularity that you can’t fathom can still throw you out of office."

Ross Douthat is having a hard time explaining "Why It’s Hard to Explain Joe Biden’s Unpopularity" (NYT).

Here's one possible answer, from Ben Shapiro a few days ago: "Joe Biden is losing to Donald Trump because of a dirty little secret: Donald Trump is actually the moderate in this race." :snip: 

Click for more »

Posted by Ann Althouse at 9:51 AM 47 comments 

Tags: Ben ShapiroBiden 2024left-wing ideologyRoss Douthat

Draggingtree

Oh, ****’s sake. Biden didn't abandon anything- we need to quit pretending that Biden is running anything at all. Biden is a figurehead only- his staff, the permanent bureaucracy, and the Democrats in Congress run things- they are the people that would have to change course, or get a clue about why they aren't popular right now. That Douthat can't figure out, or put his finger exactly on, why Biden is unpopular isn't surprising to me- I imagine Douthat's paid well enough by his owners at the NYTimes that buying food and housing isn't an expense that he notices very much.

• Like 2

Draggingtree

Only couple more of mini responses to the above posting article by Althouse.blog

Here's a simple explanation that never crosses the mind of someone like Ross Douthat; eight hotdogs and eight rolls, the regular kind, not the exotic natural casing sort of weenies, just plain old hotdogs, and plain white-bread rolls are $10 retail -- that's the minimum, and that's Bidenomics.

Jesus Christ on a stick, what kind of people inhabit Washington? Bidenomics wasn't coined by Trump as an insult, it was coined by the Biden's own staffer! They're *******g proud of Joe's inconceivably vast national debt and spacetime-warping inflation! What the ******g blue blazes is wrong with their brains?? Is it a new strain of Toxoplasma gondii? Or is a severe blow to the skull an employment prerequisite issued by Biden's General Services Administration? I'm truly astonished anyone in Washington can walk a straight line.

• Like 2