CBS faces uproar after seizing investigative journalist’s files

Valin

The Hill

Jonathan Turley

02/22/2

“Anyone who isn’t confused really doesn’t understand the situation.” Those words, from CBS icon Edward R. Murrow, came to mind this week after I spoke with journalists at the network.

There is trouble brewing at Black Rock, the headquarters of CBS, after the firing of Catherine Herridge, an acclaimed investigative reporter. Many of us were shocked after Herridge was included in layoffs this month, but those concerns have increased after CBS officials took the unusual step of seizing her files, computers and records, including information on privileged sources.

The position of CBS has alarmed many, including the union, as an attack on free press principles by one of the nation’s most esteemed press organizations.

I have spoken confidentially with current and former CBS employees who have stated that they could not recall the company ever taking such a step before. One former CBS journalist said that many employees “are confused why [Herridge] was laid off, as one of the correspondents who broke news regularly and did a lot of original reporting.”

That has led to concerns about the source of the pressure. He added that he had never seen a seizure of records from a departing journalist, and that the move had sent a “chilling signal” in the ranks of CBS.

A former CBS manager, who also spoke on condition of anonymity, said that he had “never heard of anything like this.” He attested to the fact that, in past departures, journalists took all of their files and office contents. Indeed, the company would box up everything from cups to post-its for departing reporters. He said the holding of the material was “outrageous” and clearly endangered confidential sources.

Herridge declined to make any public comments on her departure.

CBS also did not respond to my inquiries about this.

(Snip)

Catherine Herridge Posts Important Update on CBS' Seizure of Her Files

As we reported, Catherine Herridge was fired from CBS during a bloodbath of them cutting hundreds of employees. 

Her firing got the most attention because of her excellence in reporting and the suggestion that it was more than just a layoff when it came to her being let go, just after she'd been reporting on the Hur Report. That suspicion grew louder when it was learned that CBS had also seized Herridge's files, computers, and records, which included her "privileged sources."

According to George Washington law professor Jonathan Turley:

The timing of Herridge’s termination immediately raised suspicions in Washington. She was pursuing stories that were unwelcomed by the Biden White House and many Democratic powerhouses, including the Hur reporton Joe Biden’s diminished mental capacity, the Biden corruption scandal and the Hunter Biden laptop. She continued to pursue these stories despite reports of pushback from CBS executives, including CBS News President Ingrid Ciprian-Matthews.

This concerned many that this could "chill" reporting and sources providing information to reporters. Some like Turley and journalist Brit Hume said they had never heard of anything like this before. 

Catherine Herridge has now posted an important update from SAG-Aftra, which covers broadcast journalists as well as actors. They posted a statement ripping CBS' actions and coming to her defense, demanding that CBS return her files and records to her. They indicated there was progress because of outreach from CBS and they hoped to resolve the question soon. :snip:

Sharyl Attkisson

@SharylAttkisson

Neither here nor there, and my situation may be a little different because I initiated breaking my contract with CBS in order to quit mid-contract, but I was alway told that the work product, notes, etc., belong to the network, though there is always some shared ownership & overlap. I even had to sign a paper in order to get out of my contract that said I'd given the network all files. I was also led to believe if there was any chance of litigation over a story, the network was to have any and all notes, for legal reasons. I'm glad journalism groups are offering support to Herridge, whereas they never weighed in on the forensically proven spying on me and my CBS work by the govt.

• Like 1

The theory as to why Paramount ‘laid off’ journalist Catherine Herridge – a known thorn of Biden administration

I’m not one for conspiracy theories.

In fact, I shoot them down all the time when I’m bombarded with claims that sinister forces on Wall Street are conspiring to screw small investors.

Such “rip-offs” are easily explained away with logic and a modest understanding of how markets work. 

One such theory making the rounds deserves some attention because the implications, if true, are so scary.

It involves the wonky circumstances surrounding the recent termination of journalist Catherine Herridge from CBS News. 

Herridge is a longtime investigative reporter who has been a constant thorn in the side of the Biden administration.

Here’s why some people are connecting the proverbial conspiracy dots: Sidelining Herridge might just get the Wall Street-phobic Biden merger cops to approve Paramount’s sale to a bigger media company. 

Again, I hate conspiracy theories, and I’m not anywhere close to being sure this one has any merit; Herridge was one of 800 people (including 20 journalists) recently let go from the struggling media conglomerate, owner of CBS, MTV, Paramount Pictures, Comedy Central, etc.:snip:

• Like 1

CBS Returns Catherine Herridge's Files, but Sources Dish on More Questions

CBS created an uproar when they fired investigative journalist Catherine Herridge, who had been pursuing multiple stories pertaining to the Biden family, among others. Then, on top of that, the furor intensified when it came out that they'd seized her files, computers, and records.

Herridge's union, SAG-AFTRA, condemned CBS' actions. They demanded the return of the files, saying this was a dangerous precedent to set and was a threat to the First Amendment. Even the House Judiciary Committee Chair demanded to know who was behind the firing and all the documents related to her firing/the seizing of her files. They wanted answers by March 1. 

I don't think CBS figured on the backlash that they were going to get. They released a statement disputing that they'd "seized" her files, claimed that her office had been secured, and that they had respected her wishes not to go through the files. Sources said that they had boxed up her personal belongings except for her files. As I noted, if that's true, that would seem someone did some review of her things, to be able to make that differentiation. :snip:

22 minutes ago, Valin said:
1 hour ago, Geee said:

How many times have we see this sad by The Powers That Be?

by now they have copied everything she had and have the names of her confidential sources - and I would not be surprised if the WH now has those names.

2 minutes ago, Geee said:

by now they have copied everything she had and have the names of her confidential sources - and I would not be surprised if the WH now has those names.

You said it...didn't. Though the though May have crossed my mind.

Judge Holds Ex-Fox Reporter Catherine Herridge In Contempt For Not Divulging Sources

U.S. District Judge Christopher Cooper has held renowned investigative journalist Catherine Herridge in civil contempt Thursday, Associated Press (AP) reported.

The decision comes after Herridge’s refusal to reveal her confidential source behind a Fox News investigative series, according to AP. The stories in question shed light on Yanpin Chen, a Chinese American scientist who was investigated by the FBI but never charged. Cooper sanctioned Herridge to a daily fine of $800 to enforce compliance.

However, this penalty is on hold to allow Herridge time to appeal. Cooper acknowledged the vital role of a free press and the necessity of confidential sources in journalism, the outlet stated. Yet, he emphasized the court’s duty to uphold legal standards and maintain its authority.

“Herridge and many of her colleagues in the journalism community may disagree with that decision and prefer that a different balance be struck, but she is not permitted to flout a federal court’s order with impunity,” wrote Cooper, AP reported.:snip: